Builds Isuzu 4BD1T Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mud wishes your trip is smooth and safe!

Where's the trip report?!? How'd it do?

OK got back. Now the report...... Brace yourselves.

We left at about 11:30am on Sunday myself and my buddy Dave in his Tacoma to drive to Penticton to pick up a ARB Roof top tent, awning and vestibule room setup. Having not driven the truck consistently and for no more than 40kms at a time. This was going to be a test, 390kms one way and two mountain ranges to pass over. The main one was the coke (if you watch Highway through hell you will know it). It goes from almost sea level to I think 1600m in 30kms with one final Hill at the end then claims a lot of cars mainly by fire. I was able to make it up with out dropping below 75kms/hr in 3gear and the converter locked. Trans temp did not go over 145f. It felt laboured but not like it was walking up. My boost was maxed out at 14psi and EGT's maxed at 1300f after about 10min. Coolant temp stayed steady and the stock gauge did not budge.

The rest of the trip there went off with out a hitch. We got the place I was getting the tent from at 4:30 loaded it up and pulled out at 6:30pm headed toward the Ashnola valley. We planed to camp somewhere in the area and having never been there we where unsure where to camp. We drove on gravel for 20ish kns and found a spot in the dark that looked decent. Set up camp and the new roof top tent (always need to test the new camp gear!). Then relaxed in front of the fire till 11:30pm. Clear night and a fantastic view of the stars.

Camp

Trail sign

3 point turns required

Today we pulled out at 10:30 and headed for a trail we had heard about that took us from Ashnola over Placer mountain to Manning Park area. It's about 100ish km and parts of it are little more than a goat trail on the side of a shale Hillside. Found some great scenery and amazing spots to camp on future trips to the area. We even encounter a snow shower at 7200ft.

I would post pictures but this POS app taptalk will not allow me to exit to grab the pictures with out deleting my posts. Made it home fine millage was good at 13.3l/100kms. Need to make a few changes and adjustments. Also need to get a turbo on it that actually performs.

Last edited:
Now THAT's awesome to hear! Truck looks great, and that looks like an amazing trip through the mountains!

Congrats on the successful trip! Well deserved!

So I've been up trying to determine turbo selection...and I'm curious what you are thinking turbowise after driving it as I was almost gonna pull the trigger for the 19t cover etc. Twinsies? Think there is a single turbo you'd like better? Or do you think the 6cm housing would do the trick.

Congrats again on a great trip!

A well deserved reward after all the work you've put in AND shared with the riff raff on mud...... congrats WN....... I've been over the coke a couple of times myself... a fair hill for sure.

That's awesome to hear Jerms. Milage isn't bad for pulling the hills and 4x4 too!
Yeah I was happy! That's also on a engine with 1200kms on it and a locked fan clutch. None of those are helping the economy. The added range on a tank of fuel is my main goal and I got that. My buddy in the stock 2010 Tacoma with a 4WC on the back filling at the same time and driving the same speeds. He filled and needed 55L I only needed 40L. That's a win in my book.
Congrats on the successful trip! Well deserved!

So I've been up trying to determine turbo selection...and I'm curious what you are thinking turbowise after driving it as I was almost gonna pull the trigger for the 19t cover etc. Twinsies? Think there is a single turbo you'd like better? Or do you think the 6cm housing would do the trick.

Congrats again on a great trip!
Thanks!

Not really got a plan yet for turbo. I may do compounds but am limited for room. For now I'm going to try and button up the rest of the "To do's" while I think it all over.

We now seem to know there is no 6cm volvo housing available.
A well deserved reward after all the work you've put in AND shared with the riff raff on mud...... congrats WN....... I've been over the coke a couple of times myself... a fair hill for sure.
Thanks!
[emoji481]:cheers:
Indeed there was a few of those last night once I got home.

So in all the research I did it sounds like the 6cm straight flange came on 2.0l European market volvo's...so it's out there...but the $165 kunigawa housing is probably the cheapest route to a 6cm straight flange. If you are open to redoing your downpipe I found several 6cm angle flange housings in the local wrecker. Just more to chew on. If I get motivated this weekend I think I'll put mine back together with a 16t wheel until I decide what to do.

So in all the research I did it sounds like the 6cm straight flange came on 2.0l European market volvo's...so it's out there...but the $165 kunigawa housing is probably the cheapest route to a 6cm straight flange. If you are open to redoing your downpipe I found several 6cm angle flange housings in the local wrecker. Just more to chew on. If I get motivated this weekend I think I'll put mine back together with a 16t wheel until I decide what to do.
Intresting. I would double check with kunigawa before ordering a turbine to ensure its actually a 6cm. Never know if they are making the same mistake we did and assuming all the straights are 6cm.

I'm starting to look at other alternatives. Away from the MHI turbo's, there is lots of stuff out there for them but no one seems to have a bloody clue as to what is what.

I may try a angled 6cm if they are actually 6cm. Are they the same as the later 7cm angled?

My understanding is that they had both 6 and 7 cm angled models at the same time. There are different casting numbers for the different sizes and looking in the wrecking yards I was able to find both...so it seems likely.

So what's your performance like? Is the main problem being slow to build boost?

My understanding is that they had both 6 and 7 cm angled models at the same time. There are different casting numbers for the different sizes and looking in the wrecking yards I was able to find both...so it seems likely.

So what's your performance like? Is the main problem being slow to build boost?
Slow to build boost and low overall boost. When I had lots of fuel added I was able to make 25psi but EGT's moved almost as fast as the boost. With safe EGT's my peak boost is 14psi and I do not get that till 2500rpm full load. If I lock the converter at say 1700rpm the engine just sits there with my foot to the floor and only makes about 3psi.

I may take you up on the offer of grabbing a 6cm angled housing just to test it and see. I'm going to be changing the down pipe anyways if I change turbo's or go compounds. Compounds is looking more and more like a possibility even with my lack of room. It's that or spend a lot of money for a proved performer...... he221.

Wouldn't the cost of twins and all the work involved be quick to add up to a 221?

Wouldn't the cost of twins and all the work involved be quick to add up to a 221?
Yep it would, hence my current dilema. I like to keeps things simple and clean so I'm leaning toward staying single if possible. If I do I would probably go He221w.

Another though I had was to get 5 or 6cm Saab turbine housing and use my 19t CHRA and compressor cover with it. The Saab turbine is a t25 flange but if I did a He221w it would be T25 flange too. Now to find a 5cm or 6cm turbine to try it out. I'm hoping I can easily adapt it and not need to change much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom