WHG423 Has a New FJ60! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes I did. I use Testors gloss white model paint and a small brush. I have done this on more than one vehicle. It holds up incredibly well.

Nice 60 and nice UHaul fiberglass 13! Within a year or two of each other? Both getting rare.

They are both 1986 models! Uhaul was manufactured January 86' and Cruiser in July.

Checking up on my ole Cruiser again. Dang you've done a ton to it !!! Glad you got her running and idling good, sure glad the inside of the motor was so clean. My buddies wife drove it back & forth to work for years. I know they drove it to their place up in The mountains in Colorado at least once. Glad your having so much fun with it. If you want to send her back to Texas let me know

Going to
Yes I did. I use Testors gloss white model paint and a small brush. I have done this on more than one vehicle. It holds up incredibly well.
Going to pick some up! Rig looks great V8 Repower next!!

Just a little update. Been driving the Cruiser a lot lately and loving it! Got some rust issues in my gas tank causing my carb to get trash in it. Not to fret though. I have sourced a replacement tank and it is on it's way as we speak! My tank already had the recall done way back in 1990. Hopefully the tank that shows up is rust-free as promised.

I had a little photography fun along the way.

Where she sleeps

On to some work…

Got a TEQ badge for my hitch cover

Checking the tank rust and resealed rain gutters.

Also rebuilt my spare tire carrier. It was almost froze up so I disassembled, cleaned, greased and painted it. Works great now and looks nice too. Figured I had to pull it to drop the tank anyway. Might as well clean it up.

Also added Tow hooks to my brush guard.

More to come after the tank arrives :)

Excellent work! What process and products did you use to reseal the rain gutters?

My rain gutters were not bad. I did not need to chip away the old sealer. It was still intact. It was just cracked in a few places. I cleaned it real good with acetone. (Be careful! It will take your paint off. You may wish to use a milder solvent.)
I work in the aviation industry. We use some pretty amazing sealants on aircraft. I was able to source some sealer from one of our suppliers that was out of date for pretty cheap. I don't know if it is commercially available but I will check. It is basically the same as an automotive seam sealer.
I used a syringe to inject the cracked areas. Once they were repaired, I ran a bead down the gutter and smoothed it out with my finger.

Did some running around this weekend. Tank should be here tomorrow so I was trying to run her out of gas.

Took the boys to the pumpkin patch.

Gas stations make for some cool pics for some reason.

My tank showed up from sunny California today!
It is beautiful inside. Nice and shiny. No signs of rust!
I washed it off and am going tomorrow to get new fuel lines.
Hopefully I can get it installed by the weekend!

The HESS shots look cool! And nice new tank!

Got the tank swapped out last night. Also did all new fuel lines (the rubber ones - left the hard lines.). And put a new filter on. It was a pretty big job. Took me a and my buddy about four hours.
It wasn't until the old tank was out that I realized just how nasty it was inside. Can't believe the truck ran at all! Fresh clear fuel now runs through the filter. I'm sure I'll have to change filters a couple of times to push through any residual sediment that might be in those hard lines. Feels good knowing that there is no junk in my tank. Remounted the crossmember with the rebuilt tire carrier lifter mechanism thingy and got the spare back on.

Now I am replacing a couple of heater hoses that I failed to replace on rebuild. Mainly the heater control valve ones. One was weaping and I feared she would let go soon. Next is to trace down why my thermostat housing is leaking. Should haver her roadworthy again by tomorrow.

Sorry, no pics this time. I was too busy working to take time to snap pics.

My neighbor was outside watching and called me over. We chatted a bit and he said "man that thing is looking great! It's going to be a new truck when your finished."
Little does he know, I'll never be finished. Ha Ha!!

Feeling accomplished!

Last edited:
Hmmm… This could be where my coolant leak is coming from. Ya think?
Lower BSV port that I plugged at desmog seems to be missing something important - Like most of its threads…
Time to find a housing.

And… We're down again.

Here is my pretty new gas tank though.

Oh damn.

I'd plan on a complete coolant system flush and refill with new after seeing that much corrosion.

Flush done! Waiting to find a housing now.

Got the new (used) housing in the mail yesterday along with all new gaskets. Thanks to Torfab and their part out selection!

Plus side of things is that all the housing is there! Unfortunately, threds are corroded a bit on this one as well. Plug will start, but only goes about halfway in before it hits bad threads. I got everything cleaned up and dropped it off with our in-house machinist at work this morning. Hopefully he can chase or clean up the threads while I work the day away. He is a master at this kinda stuff. We shall see. Stay tuned...

So was the tire carrier fairly easy to take down and clean up? Mine is pretty nasty too and I would like to clean that up if I can to make lowering the spare much easier. New meats are coming but only got 4 so far, will grab the 5th in a while but would like to clean this up prior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom