Dana 44 with power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I remember right the early GM trucks all used outside the frame rail designs. The inside the frame rail setup is from passenger cars. Not quick ratio camero or anything. Use the one from a Monte Carlo etc... 4 turns stop to stop is what really matters. Most non crossover setups used extra Idler arms to set the geometry right (and keep it that way) on the trucks.

I'm not sure this is what your looking for. There are other options besides machining your knuckles. The TRES drop in thru the top of the arm of a wagoneer knuckle. The 40 has a scout box w/a drop down pitman arm.
scout steering 9.jpg

On a yj we did a HP44 w/F150 knuckles. We revesred the taper by drilling out the taper & then installed taper slugs, so the 1 ton TRES can drop thru the top of the arms. The drag link attaches to the pass TRE.
Scotts YJ TRES.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure this is what your looking for. There are other options besides machining your knuckles. The TRES drop in thru the top of the arm of a wagoneer knuckle. The 40 has a scout box w/a drop down pitman arm. View attachment 956086
On a yj we did a HP44 w/F150 knuckles. We revesred the taper by drilling out the taper & then installed taper slugs, so the 1 ton TRES can drop thru the top of the arms. The drag link attaches to the pass TRE. View attachment 956110

I've heard bad things about doing that cross-steer - but I've also heard people who swear they're fine...

LOTS of people have done this cross steer.
The stock FJ40 is that way and I ran it on my for 10 years and never had a TRE failure. (healthy 2F, 35s, 4.88's, SM420, lockers, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom