Look what I found.... 1961 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pic 1. Return springs as mentioned by LITP.
Pic 2. How your cast alloy lump will separate from con rod.

IMG_8404.jpg

IMG_8405.jpg

Are you saying that the early 40's have this auto cancel thingy? Have to look into that as ours doesn't cancel.
I don't know mate as I'm new to the earlies and am yet to actually drive my '69, but I will know in matter of weeks [hopefully..]

..and if that don't work then there's always SOR, which would give you your financial commitment :grinpimp:

http://www.sor.com/catproducts.sor?from=182&part.number=182-15&tabpage=TAB1

I believe if you check the thread I linked some dealers will sell a the switch new for what SOR is selling for used. They do list the 9/71 to 9/72 which I think the other thread said was NLA. For that part I would pay their price no problem. Lucky I don't own a 72 model but curious might have a used switch somewhere.:hmm::meh:

thanks for everyones input.

cult - have got my cast alloy lump off, so to speak, but my problem lies here;

003.JPG

the thread pictured above (there but unused on yours and any stick shift example) locates the column assembly. the thread also seems to allow for the up/down movement required for the gear changes (ie up for reverse and 2nd down for 1st and 3rd). now i imagine that in a perfect world holding the gear lever towards you allows the allow lump to clear the gear shifter and simply unscrew?? but this is not possible with my seized gear assembly. the alloy hits here and here (below) if that makes sense

010.JPG 009.JPG

i need to remove this so hopefully i can pull the whole column assembly back through the firewall and into the engine bay to remove.

so anyways after spending much of the day doing swivel bearings on a 75 series work ute and looking at the old 61 out the shed door decided to grab a few beers and have a play. pulled one swivel hub apart. heat was handy; esp to budge the tapered washers and steering linkage. the collapsed old bearings simply fell apart in my hand. was dissapointed but not surprised to find the terrain tamer kit i had was wrong.

002.JPG 005.JPG

decided to view the inner axle seal to at least get a number from that with a view to perhaps simply buying the bearings and seals and and slapping this back together. the old felts etc will go again with a kerosene wash. this may still be my plan. sounds rough i know but you need to remember what sort of a project this is; a rusty old 40 that no-one in their right mind would tackle. i am getting this going purely for the enjoyment of the challenge and the dubious glory of 'saving' one of the worlds oldest 40 series.

anyway pulled the inner axle. wasnt ready for this bit!

007.JPG

have done plenty of landcruiser swivel hubs in my time but never seen one with an inner axle bushing machined into the diff housing. i imagine this is fj25ish? but havent had this part of my fj25 apart yet. there feels to be a seal in behind this bushing. anyway bloody interesting first time you see it! i washed my hands, cracked another beer and pondered a little. drove down to check a 64ish fj45 wreck i have but that is simply inner axle seal. thought perhaps this being so early is a leftover fj25 axle in its entirety but steering con rod is 40ish

005.JPG

pictured here next to fj25

009.JPG

so after another beer or so decided to call it a night and wander back to the computer and try a little study on this early stuff. my current plan is to let sleeping dogs lie, throw some bearings at this and put it back together with original seal in situ. this can all easily come apart again later if needs be. after all i have a budget to consider ;)

Ahhhh, now I understand. And despite having no idea how to remove it, still please don't hurt said lump if you can help it. Surely some of our American brethren can lend a hand with this issue..? Was thinking too, does it need to come off? Sometimes I'm so enthused that I get halfway into something before realising I didn't need to take it apart.

Interesting about the brass bush. Surely would be leftover 25 engineering.

There's a bloke in the 45 section called payney60 who's just acquired himself a '64 45 with a lot of spares in the tray. And amongst all that I sear I saw a column shift linkage.

familiar with the ball and claw technology. just never seen one with an inner axle bushing. 64 is the oldest i have played swivel kit rebuild with. that simply has an inner axle seal and an outer axle bush in the stub axle (or spindle) whatever is the correct name for the bit the front wheel bearings run on anyway, as does every landcruiser newer than this up to 2000 that i have played with. this 61 has the outer axle bush and an inner axle bush machined into the diff housing with a seal behind it. (full size pic above)

unsure how to remove the bush to replace the seal. completely unsure of the availability of the bush so wouldnt want to damage it. interested in the lifespan of this inner axle bush; it makes the early 40 diff housings a different beast (or perhaps the same as fj25). thinking to just reassemble and leave it alone for now. though it could be good practice before i tackle my fj25 front end?

nuclearlemon - did you get this deep into annie? i need to re read your thread tonight but didnt notice these parts after a quick scroll through your parts list towards the end of your thread. my 'mud search' skills seem fairly lacking. can anyone show me a thread that deals with this early axle? and how does this compare to fj25?

as an aside a 2000 model hzj79 i rebuilt recently had roller bearings for the outer axle in the spindle. i smashed them out and replaced with an earlier bush which works fine after a simple hone. i feel a bush is less likely to let you down in a remote environment. anyways thats all another story.

would appreciate peoples comments on all this. it interests me.

bushings are nla. no seal there. the bushing is the "sealing surface". there was a thread on a seal that will work in place of the bushing, but i can't remember what the application was. i've wondered how close the bushing is to the spindle bushing, but haven't had time to compare. both annie and my 65 45 have the factory bushing setup with the ball and claw axles.

familiar with the ball and claw technology. just never seen one with an inner axle bushing. 64 is the oldest i have played swivel kit rebuild with. that simply has an inner axle seal and an outer axle bush in the stub axle (or spindle) whatever is the correct name for the bit the front wheel bearings run on anyway, as does every landcruiser newer than this up to 2000 that i have played with. this 61 has the outer axle bush and an inner axle bush machined into the diff housing with a seal behind it. (full size pic above)

Interesting about the inner seal on a 64. US market the inner brass bushing lasted as long as the ball and claw. https://www.sor.com/catproducts.sor?from=080&part.number=080-70&tabpage=TAB1 My 9/67 production 68 model has the brass bushing.

i will stand corrected on the inner bush and seal. cleaned mine up further and in the light of day there is no inner seal; just the greasy edge on the bush felt like one. also opened up another front axle that was mostly dismantled (65 i believe) and it too has the bush. so my memory must be failing or playing tricks on me. i have obviously been working on too much late model 47 and 75 stuff! apologies for any confusion this may have caused.

at the end of day set my current daily driver up as workbench and tore down the other swivel hub. discovered a completely oval bush and badly worn axle. there is almost 10mm axle play in the bush! even the axle is worn about 2mm thinner than it should be! this is too rough even for me; so eed to find a replacement axle and bush of some sort to sort this. pulled the front diff. no nasty surprises there which is good considering the yellow sludge that was doing service as diff oil. that was it really. started laying a few things out in order on the bench and a bit of cleaning. if i get a chance tonight will pull a replacement axle from some of my junk and see if i can fabricate a slide hammer or somesuch to have a play with these bushes. may even investigate the possibility of using a spindle bush as you mentioned nuclearlemon.

012.JPG 016.JPG 010.JPG

Thought I had bought some bushings. recently............but that could have been years ago as well. Might have some serviceable used ones laying around if you want me to throw them in the box. Almost looks like that axle has been sleeved once already, never saw lathe marks leading into the bearing surface like that before. Looking at pictures I had 1.229" and 1.245" on the two axle diameters and needed to hone out the new bushings to fit after pressing them in, I can check to see if I have some notes if you really need the diameters. There's probably a factory procedure and reamer for this.
120305 (13).JPG

thanks; i still pondering all this.

yea stout is a nice old thing. technically belongs to a mate but it lives here because he has no space in the city. i use it from time to time as my daily runabout. is a little rustier than it looks. not sure what year it is. any gurus out there?

had a little play. pulled a nice clean axle out of a wreck. very clean, tight in its bushing, and swivel bearings feel fine (on the long axle at least). got to thinking i should have just swapped this assembly into the 61 to save rebuilding the other but arguments against;
- i already have the 61 axle apart now
- be nice to know whats in there and what condition anyway
- and using as much original 61 as possible is kind of cute
so prob wont go this path now.

made a rough slide hammer and got the offending inner bush out of the 61. it is ovaled to the point where the oil channels are mostly undiscernable. havent pulled the replacement bush (need better slide hammer because intend to pull it with the swivel hub still attached, still pondering axle swap and ran out of light).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom