My misc restoration ramblings/questions thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The only word to describe that stuff is sexy. Damn good job!

This has to be my favorite thread that's being updated. That is some awesome work KLF. That truck looks amazing!!!

Last edited:
This has to be my favorite thread that's being updated. That is some awesome worm KLF. That truck looks amazing!!!

Worm? Preserved. Gotta love auto-check.

LOL...

Toolbox done, loaded with my "road tools", spare parts, fluids, etc.
20141005_121556_Android.jpg

New sticker on rear window, proudly displayed (bottom one):
20141004_142944_Android.jpg

Looking good. Are you going to put the decals on the sides too? I love the 80's graphics they had. Makes me miss my old 86 4Runner. I should show this thread to a friend of mine. He's still got the 85 SR5 extracab he had in high school in the early 90's. I helped him tear it down for a resto about 10 years ago. It's about 80% there now. Just needs to paint the bed and put trim and stuff on. Unfortunately his now sits on an 86 frame with IFS. And it's got a TPI 350 in it.

I considered the side stickers but I think in gonna go without. I just wanna enjoy it now.

Passed inspection this morning, no problem. Engine runs well, now I need to check the timing and do a hot adjust on the valves. The damper on the throttle is acting weird, I need to figure that out. Idle is too high.

Now that I have an accurate water temp gauge, I've found that it does the weird temp spike behavior that Roger Brown talks about. The temp gradually rises, climbs up to 200 like it's starting to overheat, then you can actually see the thermostat open, as the temp suddenly plummets to around 170. It slowly climbs and levels off around 180. I do have the 2-stage thermostat installed, which apparently doesn't help.

My 89 has done the same thing with the thermostat for at least the last 15 years. I changed it 3-4 times and it still does it. Gave up about 5 years ago. Never overheats but it does get up a little above halfway then kicks right down and stays there. Funny as I've had probably 10 22re powered trucks over the years and this is the only one thats done it.

I had the coolant temperature spike for a while. It was much more noticeable in the cold. I wrote it off as my radiator doing too good of a job (single core aluminum). After I put my intercooler on, it pretty much went away.

Ps: Those graphics are nice! Are they OEM? or from the guy in SoCal that remakes them?

My radiator is a 3-row out of a turbo truck, I have a plug in the port on the top that usually goes to the turbo. What's funny about the temp spike is the factory gauge on the cluster doesn't move, which proves how unreliable it is. I have Autometer mechanical temp, oil pressure, and vacuum gauges in a cluster on top of the dash, really like having them:

20140924_211316_Android.jpg

The last gauge on the far right is for eventual future OBA system, using a York.

Tailgate sticker came from this guy: http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/toyota.htm He's in AZ. Very high quality stuff. I'm pretty sure OEM stickers are no longer available.

Last edited:
Nice and purdy. What did you coat the bumper with?

That's Monstaliner bed liner.

KLF, that is a sweet looking truck. You did a hell of a job!

That is gorgeous! Where did you get the sliders?

-Daniel Kent

I had a friend bend the tube to my design, then I did all the mitering/cutting and welding.

I had a friend bend the tube to my design, then I did all the mitering/cutting and welding.

Right on. Love the side protection. I might have to steal that idea! :D

-Daniel Kent

Klf I may have stolen a picture of your rig to be the back ground of my phone it looks that good. That is an awesome project! How much did it cost you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom