AirStream expedition trailer - possible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the family camping for a few days as part of 100s in the Hills this summer. We have a m416 with RTT (kids use) and REI Kingdom ground tent. This past camping trip was the first and last for my wife, unless (according to her) camping involves an AirStream that has a bathroom. Wondering if anyone has seen or heard of an AirStream expedition/offroad style trailer? Not looking for something to drag up a remote mountain side trail, but something with enough clearance and AT tires to get through deep puddles and wash outs to a base camp setting.

Any pictures would be great.

Thanks

Honestly, leave the wife at home for all future camping trips; more fun for you and your kids this way. Sorry to be so blunt but this won't end up well, given that this was her first and last camping trip. It ain't her thing man. You bending over backward for her camping needs will drag you down into an expensive and time consuming rabbit hole with a dreadful ending. If the wife wants to go with the family, go for a BnB or hotel and everyone will be happy.

^ isn't that the truth?! :rolleyes:

Lol. Some things are better left unsaid. If you've got the means to accommodate the Boss Lady's desires, then go for it.

The so called "desires" will be a moving target, as many husbands can attest to.

Maybe, maybe not. Awfully presumptuous to assume anything without actually knowing her. If she's willing to go, but needs something like an Airstream to be comfortable, then do it! Once she's gone enough she may decide it's not for her and she may decide that she can handle it rougher, or she may decide that the Airstream is her limit. I don't see any downsides to any of the options.
This is very close to where my wife and I camped a couple weeks ago. Our actual spot was even more desolate looking. She was happy with the site and the photo ops it provided.
i-CQ3xTWc-M.jpg

As with anything, I think it's about setting expectations and working within that. I'm sure Bloomer and family don't want to waste money on a camper if they know they don't anticipate using it.

I'm fine just about anywhere so long as ticks aren't crawling on me and I can have a hot coffee in the morning. Wife just needs a soft spot to sleep on. I got a camper so my wife and kids will go with me and it's easier to deal with kids. When it's just me on long trips, I leave it at home.

Have you checked out Camp Lite trailers? They are all aluminum construction and appear to be decent quality (by RV standards). They make up to 13' with single axle.

Last edited:
A person (regardless of gender) is either a happy camper or an unhappy camper.

It's pretty difficult to turn an unhappy camper into a happy one. It is most likely going to end up as a waste of time and money.

A person (regardless of gender) is either a happy camper or an unhappy camper.

It's pretty difficult to turn an unhappy camper into a happy one. It is most likely going to end up as a waste of time and money.

I'm Ali and I approve this message.

Such negativity passed along as "experience". Maybe you're right and maybe you're wrong. I've known "unhappy campers" who were only unhappy because they lacked experience and knowledge. Once they got some each they off and going. Pretty hard to be comfortable in a setting that is totally foreign to you.

Such negativity passed along as "experience". Maybe you're right and maybe you're wrong. I've known "unhappy campers" who were only unhappy because they lacked experience and knowledge. Once they got some each they off and going. Pretty hard to be comfortable in a setting that is totally foreign to you.
I think you either like the outdoors or don't, in my experience exposure does not convert a city person into an outdoors person. If wifey is enthusiastic about day trips she may come around. If anything other than a picnic at the local park is just "tolerated" forget about it.

I don't disagree, but to close her down before she has a chance to decide for herself if this is something that she's interested in continuing doing is unfair to both of them. It may well be money spent that reaps no benefit beyond determining that this isn't something that she wants to do. To me it would be a worthwhile expenditure.

OTOH money spent on something like an AirStream trailer is never totally gone, there's too much of a market for them. Perhaps a good intermediate plan would be to rent a trailer for a trip and test out the idea before buying.

In terms of remote destinations, my wife is more extreme than I. She loves to go on trips into remote areas, with and without me. She will hike into places on multi-day trips that my knee simply won't let me do. She also encourages me to go on, as she calls them, "guy trips." Prior to her divorce from her Ex the only similar trips that she'd ever done was to chaperone her son's Boy Scout trips. Her family was amazed that she had any interest in this sort of thing at all. They really aren't and weren't campers.

Google ADAK trailers. Or search Expo 2014 photos. They're addressing the need you ask for with an off-road RV style camper with more creature comfort.

So rent an airstream (or whatever type of trailer you can find) and take her camping.

This way, you will know if it's acceptable or not.

For a 36k base price I will guess it's more likely one of those 200 series fellas has one;)

Really? You think the 200 series owners have better credit rating than any other folks? :rofl:

My wife is not a tent person either. SO I bought the easiest biggest tent I could. A Woods Atmosphere. We use inflatable beds inside, and there is room for at least 4 double beds, the dog and it's crate and a toilet for night time pees. I also bring a dyson heater and if I get a site with power can heat the tent. It could also run off an inverter and batteries.
The challenge is finding a large flat 10 x 18 foot area. No problem at a camp ground
Woods Atmospheric Plus Airbeam Tent, 8-Person | Canadian Tire

Late to this party, but we camped in ground tents with a foot locker and Coleman two burner and our canoe while our three sons were growing up. Camped on the Little River, Black river and other rivers in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, all in the mid-south.My wife loved it all. After 50 years of marriage we moved into a Mobile Suites fifth wheel and GMC one ton crew cab ($190K) for the set. Mrs is very happy but now that we have a full time Grandson we are looking at a Newmar Dutch Star motor home. And I am sure the Mrs will be very happy.

However, as soon as my '77 FJ40 is finished I plan to build a trailer with RTT for me and the Grandson to camp and fish. Already have the torsion axle and all the stuff to build it, i.e. hitch, wiring, LED lights, wheels and tires to match the 40, etc. I am sure some of the other grandkids will join us. Two of them are Eagle Scouts so they can start the campfires. In my career as a commercial helicopter pilot I have spent months in a tent beside the helicopter on forest fires, geological exploration and other projects. Loved every minute of it.

I did a frame off restoration of a 1963 airstream. The frame, and riveted skin is designed to flex. I do not think interior cabinets, plumbing, NG appliances would hold together with rough use.

I am sure there are travel trailers built for off road camping, but I do not think airstream is one of them.

FWIW, Wife may enjoy camping, just not tenting. I used to camp in really inaccessible places (canoe in/canoe out, some requiring a week or more of canoing)... The tent was to keep the mosquitos off...

I was young, flexible and limber back then. Now? I own two tents and haven't camped in either of them in 25-30 years. My knees don't take it, I have discs that slip in my back and... while I used to be able to make the mad-midnight dash from sleeping on the ground to a tree, I can't get up off the ground easily anymore, so would end up <cough> not making it to that tree.

I now have a Lance 855S that slides into the back of my F350 for camping. Has everything we need, and we can still get off road to go fish some wild stream in Montana or Maine if we need. Plus, added benefit, my husband doesn't hear the midnight "creak, pop, waddle, waddle, damn didn't make it" cause it's got a bathroom!**

**that said, we only use the bathroom for #1. I'll still go in the woods for #2 (after checking for poison oak, ivy and summac)-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom