Killed a Toyo ATII (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Punctured one of my Toyo ATII's this weekend. Small puncture in the sidewall. After the tire shop unmounted the tire I was able to pull out a tiny piece of wood. Looks like southern Utah pinion pine or juniper.
Bummer, and slightly disappointing.
I've only ever punctured two sidewalls not counting BS nails and screws from construction sites. Both cases have been tree-related. Other tire was a Nitto Terra Grappler.
Luckily I bought the warranty. New tire mounted and balanced for $58.

20141015_144416.jpg

I was expecting a murdered tire page. I wish I had a picture of my tires when I hit a railroad tie oh the freeway, that was some killed tires.

I had good luck with BFG's, I'd find metal scraps in the tread all the time and can't remember having a flat with them.

This was a quiet and stealthy assassination rather than the shock and awe you were looking for.
Dead tire is dead tire, though.

What data to back up....or just personal opinion?

I've ran quite a few Toyo tires on everything from Cruisers to an AMG Mercedes on 20's to a road race prepped VW. I have nothing good to say about any of the 6 different styles of Toyos I have ran.

To talk specifically about Cruisers, the MT's suck at everything except longevity (The only tire I WANTED to wear out quickly didn't...). I have no personal experience with the AT's and don't seem too bad but there is a lot better tire out there for the money. I been disappointed enough with Toyos not to try. The Oregon Department of Forestry trucks run M55's. Again, the only "good" thing is how long they last.

I've ran quite a few Toyo tires on everything from Cruisers to an AMG Mercedes on 20's to a road race prepped VW. I have nothing good to say about any of the 6 different styles of Toyos I have ran.

I don't have much to say about toyo truck tires, but their car tires suck. No where near a Michelin or Bridgestone on a car. I don't think the gap will be quite as big on a truck tire. There's a brand new set on a family members 100, we'll see how thy do.

Interesting as I just ordered a set of 295/75r16s. Ran bfgs on 80, so hoping for good initial impressions.

Performance is subjective but I've been very happy with the quality of my 5 sets of Toyo/Nitto tires.... (RA-2, TS-1, Invo, one other & Toyo MT (made in Japan). They always balance well when new. I have not experienced any defects either.

However, there was a recall on the U.S. made MT's. I believe MT's were also manufactured in China. Don't know where the ATII's are made.

I'm a long time BFG guy, had/put A/Ts and then KOs on everything I've owned. Last set of E-range KOs I put on my Duramax split their belts and bubbled badly. Ran Duratracs for about 25-30k, but they were loud and soft(thus wore out quickly on a 9k lb truck). I really liked the look of the AT/II Extremes, and figured they would perform similar to BFGs, so I decided I'd give them a shot. So far so good, they've been exactly like my BFGs. Although, I haven't really buried this truck or my LC in mud, like I had in the past, so they could lack performance. However, the tread pattern is similarly aggressive, so I wouldn't see why. I ended up running the exact same tire/size on my 100 when I got it.

Last edited:
I run Nitto on my wife's hundy and after three years they are cracking pretty bad. Nitto and Toyo are owned by the same parent company I believe.

While searching for tires for my wife's DD, I talked to a shop tech at the local Les Schwab.

He told me that the primary difference between Toyo and Nitto (same parent company) is that Toyo is constantly innovating/improving and that Nitto is "old tech".

Thought that was an interesting comment, but highly doubtful. More "positioning" and "sales talk" than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom