FJ4Overland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks, it's my 2nd H3 - I had to drive another of my vehicles last week while the AC was being fixed, when I got it back it struck me how much it "fits" me.... I DD it and use it for Search and Rescue - it works well for both; just wish it got diesel mpgs... ah well, once the FJ40 is done, my plan is to address the diesel issue

As a bonus to those who read my threads - I'll going to give away all or part of the motor/transmission from this '40
P9280001_zpsc8e76309.jpg

Here's the fine print. It's a 71 motor, it's complete. (no picture of intake, carb, exhaust but I have them). The PO wanted to do a complete nut n bolt resto on this '40 - and got stopped. Given the guy didn't know it wasn't a 4x4, I'd only trust that it is a motor and 3 speed transmission. I utterly hate throwing away good parts if there's someone out there who needs them, and I do presume that the parts are, at minimum, rebuildable.

Free means this. I'll give the parts away, and do the leg-work to haul them to whatever shipper you wish (fastenal is close), but you get to pay the freight and whatever it costs me to box it up... thinking it wouldn't be more than $10-$20... With that said, don't bother PM'ing me that you want the part but you want me to ship it next week or later. This IS going to the scrap yard on Friday afternoon... I am keeping the oil sender.

Last edited:
F. 71 would not be a 2F.

I have to say this---Thank You!! Your generosity is much appreciated.

My 40 has been inoperable for somewhere close to four years now with a cracked head, and almost no money for repairs.

I was given a head by Mud member Kief (also very much appreciated). But, after being checked at the auto machine shop it proved to be very marginal due to multiple cracks. Consequently I wasn't very enthused about putting money that was very difficult to scrape together into repairing something that very well might be a waste.

Again, THANK YOU!!

Don

Given the situation with this motor, I have no idea whether or not this one is any good or not - fortunately, we're close enough to each other that scrapping it should cover the costs if it doesn't turn out to be any good. For me it's good because the last thing I need around here is a motor that I'll never use.

I fully understand--- it is a PARTS motor, which is what I need. If it will run I will consider that a BIG bonus. The lower end of my current motor is in good shape, if it has not deteriorated from setting with the head off over the last four years.

Don

Congratulations Don!!! Hope it works out and gets you back in the road!

That's a very nice thing you did, picking Don! You're a good guy, SuperBuickGuy!!

Nice thread, subscribed !

I actually moved the blog to the hardcore corner because this, as seemingly all my projects, has taken a turn to a bit less FJ40 with a Chevy motor to "I wonder if I should just change the body mount bolts to SAE so that all the bolts on the rig are SAE.

Finally got home with the motor about 7 PM. I was in the Wilsonville area and got a call from a friend in Salem (his son and my son are good friends). His son bought a house and is needing help with remodeling so they can finish financing. So, I spent some time there on my way home, and tied myself up for the next two + weeks. Oh well, I need to keep myself busy anyway.

The F motor will be my winter time project for after the rains keep me from doing stuff outside. You think I can just tear it apart for parts without seeing if/how well it runs? Not!! Curiosity can be a bit of a problem for me.

That was a rather "ingenious" way to get past what was probably TC problems, gut it and put a u-joint yoke on the trans output. That yoke is so far past the trans output bearing, out on the end of the shaft, I don't see how the bearing and/or the shaft survived for long. When I finally get to the point of taking the trans off Ill have to see if I can get some good pics so others can see what was done, or what not to do.

The van sold itself. Your dad asked me if I knew where he could find another Astro and I mentioned I had tried selling my 98 last year. That was all it took. If I had any money I'd probably try to talk him out of that Corvair he said he had, but instead I need to start saving up for next years property insurance and taxes.

By the way, I'm not out of Astro vans yet, I still have a 97 I will need to get back on the road. My daughter will need some kind of transportation occasionally. Just needs a battery, an alternator (frozen bearings from setting), license, and insurance.

Don

My dad went from El Caminos to Astro vans... from mullet to skirt :D
I call el caminos mullet cars because it's all business in the front, to party in the back
minivans - well, I figure someone's wife took her husband's pants

I just can't have all these folks being misled and thinking I'm a nice guy; on my good days I'm a ripe bastard....

and yet, with that clarified, I'm truly praying that the motor runs like it was rebuilt yesterday.

I like the mini-vans, they have their place when you have a growing family, or frequently transport a number of people, or need the hauling capacity without the need for the brute force of a large pickup. But, we just have no need for it anymore, and are needing to thin the herd down.

If my daughter had to suddenly take off on a cross-country trip I would not have any hesitation or worries about the Astro. I'm really impressed with the 4.3 vortec, with one exception, fuel mileage. However, for that kind of power from a V6 the mileage probably isn't too far off.

The motor runs great. I've never kept real good track of the exact miles from oil change to needing to add any oil, but it is around 2000 miles. I rebuilt the front brakes about 10-15k miles ago with all new rotors, calipers, best quality semi-metallic pads, and wheel bearings. I checked the rear shoes and at that time they were still real good. Somewhere about the same time I put new plugs, cap, rotor, and plug wires on it also. No idea when it had been done in the past, but the old plugs still looked good.

I would never, ever purposely mislead anybody. However, with any used vehicle (even new vehicles) you are taking a chance. We took a chance on it when we bought it with 160K miles on it and have not been disappointed.

The cat does need replaced as it is coming apart internally and rattling. There is an exhaust leak at the donut on the passenger side. I have a new cat and the donuts with sleeves for both side. But haven't had the time for the install.

I talked to your Dad the other day, and he is apparently dealing with a back problem right now, so everything is on hold. If he decides he doesn't want the van I'm OK with that. As far as I'm concerned it is all in God's hands, He is in control.

Don

about the minivan stuff - don't take me too seriously, there's even a place in the world Prii - but please don't ask me where I think that place is :)

my dad is really looking forward to getting your van. He is really excited about it, but he (rarely) gets sciatic (however you spell that) nerves pinched, and it happened to him twice in as many days... it lays him up.

I suspected he'd be interested in your van because he went down to Eugene/Albany to look at a van with (IIRC) more miles that was supposed to be pristine condition... suffice to say, the advertised condition must have been for another van.

His is used up, remember when we were talking about hauling the toyota motor with it? he would haul 3, and put some stuff on top... his van is truly used up. I think he sold it, but he had an el camino with 500,000 miles on it - when it was done, it was done.... the upper a-arm mounts were falling off because of metal fatigue. That car hauled at least twice its weight several times. There was a discussion on Expedition about how many miles is too much, I piped up with my opinion that his el camino at 500k was too much - for that metal fatigue issue.

Honestly, I think short of Jesus coming - he'll be there as soon as he can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom