New carb made rings go bad??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '71 fj40 stock motor. I put a weber carb on and now I think my rings are bad. Oil out the dipstick. I wonder if theres a bars leak or some kind of additive I can use to fix?? What are my choices?? the motor has less than 60k miles. Just replace rings?? complete rebuild?? Ive heard theres a chevy motor where parts are interchangeable??? Cant find a decent mechanic in Sacramento. The original rebuild cost me 4k and I cant afford that! What do I do??? I love my cruiser! Please help!

"oil out the dipstick" ?

are you saying that its pushing the dipstick up and oil is spitting out thru the dipstick tube?

when did you last clean or change the PCV... or hose connecting to it?

X2 I assume you no longer have the stock air cleaner that had a port for the hose from the valve cover that is really part of the PCV system. Plus how did you route the hose from the oil fill tube to the base of the carburetor? You may have had excessive blow by in the cylinders and changing the carburetor and rerouting the PCV hose have caused it to be more noticeable.

Also, an improper routing of the PCV hose can cause extreme crankcase pressure. This pressure has to go somewhere and the dipstick is a possibility.

Don

If your plugs are fouling then you might need rings. Venting your crankcase sounds prudent. You can never go wrong doing a compression check either.

And, no, there's nothing that comes in a can that will solve your problem.

im having a diagnostic done at Eurotech in Sacto. on Monday. I appreciate your help. I might check out georg in Stockton too.. thanks!

don't might, you should check him out. between Georg and his partner FC, you'll trip over your bottom lip on the way back to your car...

To answer your question - can the carb cause the rings to fail, yes, but you would have to have been running very rich for a long, long time. Gas washes the oil off the cylinder wall. With that said, you'd also have to ignore oil changes for several cycles to have enough wash past the rings to fill the crankcase. Whatever you do, don't continue to run it or you'll break some major bits. With that said, it's highly unlikely it's the carb doing the filling, it's far more likely it's the fuel pump as said above

Pressure in the crankcase--enough to cause oil to blow out the dipstick, could only be coming from a blow-by in the cylinders(in my opinion)Many earlier engines had no PCV and never suffered from this kind of symptom without the blowby- so I would doubt that the pcv is the root cause. If the pcv is plugged, and you have blowby, fixing the plugged pcv will only mask the underlying problem.

To answer your question - can the carb cause the rings to fail, yes, but you would have to have been running very rich for a long, long time. Gas washes the oil off the cylinder wall. With that said, you'd also have to ignore oil changes for several cycles to have enough wash past the rings to fill the crankcase. Whatever you do, don't continue to run it or you'll break some major bits. With that said, it's highly unlikely it's the carb doing the filling, it's far more likely it's the fuel pump as said above
It did run rich for a long time and I should of left the old carb on

Thanks for the help! I looked up Eurotech on yelp and they have great reviews. This website is awesome! ih8mud is quite incredible and I wouldent keep her if you guys weren't around.

it did run rich for a long time and sat for 10 yrs. It has less than 60k on rebuilt motor so im guessing most motor parts are still good? It runs great idles great with new weber carb it just leaks oil bad now. I was told there is a chevy motor that is same as toy. strait six and parts are interchangeable and much cheaper, but then I heard the chevy parts are s*** compared Toyota. Can I use chevy parts in Toyota motor??

the only internal parts that you can use from a chevy, are the valves and valve springs, and that will require machine work. cranks and pistons and cams are not bolt in deals, or even easily machined in deals. this is a TOYOTA; accept that or sell it.

Running rich won't cause any problems and it is not easy to know it is running rich. It is only if the carb is leaking and dumping liquid gas into the intake so it can was the oil off the cylinder walls that can cause problems. This is very rare and you would notice the misfiring and extremely poor fuel economy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom