Anyone know of a good paint/body shop in the Reno area? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I went to a friend of a friend's body shop (near Sacramento) for an estimate for some minor body work and a complete paint job, and he told me to go to Nevada. He said California is so overly regulated that it would cost more than twice as much here as it would in Nevada.

So does anyone have any recommendations (or shops to avoid)? I'd like to be as close to sacramento as possible, and Reno seems to make the most sense. I'm not looking for a show car paint job, but don't want Earl Scheib either. Hoping to keep it in the $2-3k range.

What part of Sac do you live in and what part of NV would you be coming too? While Reno, Carson, Gardnerville/Minden are not far apart it can make a difference if you are towing the vehicle up and once part of Sac is definitely closer to Reno than Carson/Gardnerville/Minden.

I'm near Rancho Cordova, but can easily get to 80 or 50. I'd be driving my FJ62 up, and probably taking greyhound back. I hadn't really thought of Carson City, but if anyone has a good recommendation there, I'd be open to it. Thanks

Two of the better shops in Carson are Kustom Kreations and Preferred Auto Body. Kustom does a bit more custom work and primarily does that type of project while Preferred is a standard body shop but has a very good reputation for doing high quality work. Unfortunately, no Greyhound service in Carson, only in Reno. Could possibly see if one of the mudders here in the area would take you back or see about having a buddy follow you up and drive you back.

the other thing is we have real paint not water based...

^^^ Very true, emissions controls for VOC on paint shops in CA is RIDICULOUS! I remember when I first moved to Reno, I worked for a company that did all the shop VOC reporting to the fed. Collecting the data of what they used, how much, mixtures, spray times, booth temp, ambient temp, etc. was just stupid.

I have used Gilson, concours, and top gun auto collision. Concours is my favorite but right before we sold our last vehicle I had top gun fix the rear bumper, quarter panel, and lift gate they did a great job and are less expensive. I will ask around I have a buddy who is getting his 62 painted as we speak.

...via IH8MUD app

Happy to find such a recent discussion on this! I'm looking for a body shop to deal with smashed front side panel (european bf wasn't ready for my automatic chevy rebuild). Also I have some rust incidents to deal with.

@bdynamic, how'd your buddy's 62 come along? Where's Concours?

@Spiva, how'd your paint job go? What did you learn from all that research?

@BigDaddy89

I ended up going with Earl Scheib. I know it sounds crazy, but corporate went out of business a few years ago, and any franchisee was allowed to continue using the name. So... the shop near me is run by some pretty talented painters.
The more I thought about taking my cruiser to Reno or Carson city, and how I was going to find rides, being 100 miles away from checking on it, etc. made me look local.
A friend of mine recommended a Macco near me. He'd said he'd seen a lot of good looking paint jobs come out of it. I went and got an estimate, and for some minor body work and base & clear paint job, they wanted $4500, and they only guaranteed the paint job for 90 days.
When I checked Earl Scheib, the quote came in at $2200! Plus, they guarantee the paint for 6 years. They also did 2 coats of clear, and for an extra $500 they did a wetsand and buff (looks way better than without it). They had a couple of cars they had just finished, and they looked great.

Remove as much trim as possible before taking it in. I pulled the grill and bezels, vents, and any lights I could and still drive it. That will help with the cost, and make sure there won't be lines around everything. Remember, they want you in and out quickly so they can get paid. The only thing I wish I would have done was to also pull the bumpers. The rear bumper had some paint worn off near the bumper end, so they just masked the bumper and sprayed. So it doesn't look that great there, but you really have to look for that spot.

Bottom line for me was I didn't need a show paint job. I don't need it to be perfect. It if was, I'd be too nervous to park anywhere let alone take it on a trail ever again.
I think it turned out great. I keep it in the garage most of the time, and hopefully I'll get a good 10 years out of it (if not longer).

image.jpg

Check my Instagram page for more pics... allthingswooden

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom