FJ80 battery Needed/Offroad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a good battery for winching.got a yellow top, been nothing but junk from Start.Thinking was this and that ,to find out its the $200 dollor battery thats a let down

It is pretty well known that Optimas went down the tubes after Johnson Controls bought them out and started "value engineering" the products. There is a thread out there somewhere in the internet where a former engineer that worked for them spilled the beans on all the cheapness changes.

The hot ticket nowadays is the Sears DieHard Platinum made by Odyssey. See this old thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sears-die-hard-platinum-discounts-every-month.469681/

Sales are still held on these things, just have to watch and wait.

Deep cycle batteries should not be your first Battery option if you are thinking in winching ..

^^This is right. A winch motor is essentially a high amp starter motor. I have dual winches, dual batteries, and a completely separate electrical system for my winches. I use starting batteries for my winch. They are designed for the high draw of initial loads of winching. In my research most deep cycle batteries are designed to sustain a longer, slower drain over time. The hard discharge of winching is quite hard on these batteries. IMHO.
I would also add, size matters - my 60 has series 27 batteries. I may upgrade to series 31 when these are used up, they will fit and being larger are more suitable.

Second on Sears DieHard Platinums as one of the best all-around batteries out there for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom