The "Official" 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Airbox/Intake Mod Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So there is a drain for the XXI box? I too had an issue with that as unfortunately it does rain in Australia sometimes lol. That moonlight box looks to have adopted a pretty simple fix for that.

I wonder how flow testing is done on these boxes, would be great if someone could do a comparison of stock air box with stock lid, then petrol lid, then petrol lid with modified 4" inlet etc.

I'll give you this Mark that you have tested products and hats off to you.
I don't think your going to offend anyone here and we all get you are trying to sell a product.
You make a strong case for yourself with the testing and evidence.
I don't get why your worried to post intercooler kit efficiency as an example or even mods to the stock airbox?

If your product performs better why are you worried? The results speak for themselves and it gives your customers the opportunity to make a decision for themselves.

This place in my opinion should provide people with information.
If this information will give them a better performing product and give them their options.

I'm not at all worried. I welcome the tests. I'm surprised no one has still not tested all this stuff yet. I also post heaps of intercooler efficiency vids and data.

Post up the data in the intercooler thread.
We all welcome it.

If your wondering what we deal with here in Canada here is a fine example.
I put my pre-cleaner back when the snow hits for my ski trip.

Thought I would share my experience running my snorkel this winter. Using the safari air ram head I discovered I was getting moisture into my air filter box, as seen in the first picture.

I decided to change it out for a precleaner style head and the results speak for them self. The second pic was taken after driving in an early morning ice fog at about -15*C. It was not snowing at all. You can see how much frost the pre cleaner captured.
View attachment 476430View attachment 476431

Ok, getting back to my original post I have some more thorough results to report. These pics are after a 50km drive last night in the most severe winter driving conditions. I am talking white out conditions with drifting snow and top speeds of 60km/h.
View attachment 483045View attachment 483046View attachment 483047

and for fun I will repost the images from @Malahki here on the forum just as an example.
I think some of this can be alleviated by getting a better suited pre cleaner to handle the air flow requirements of your truck.

photo-jpg.476430

Post up some supporting info of your airbox comparisons other than the ones with the stock 1hd-t lid in comparison to your airbox.
How did you preform the test so people are able to replicate the tests.

Yep, and here's the thing. I have absolutely no experience or idea about conditions like that. I live in a tropical place. It snows on a few mountain peaks here (12hours drive south) for a few months. These Airbox's and intercoolers are not designed with these conditions in mind. It's a decision people have to make for themselves. The only thing I ever say is the xxi Airbox's get these results, and they do over and over again. We don't recommend 1 for 4" mandrel open faced snorkel heads. With a ram head - no problem.

I'm not going to do that mate. But more than happy for others to test other Airbox's and designs. A manometer to the factory pressure switch positions. Plus nipples in the same location on the xxi airbox. Test conditions are @ a selected boost pressure/ 3rd gear/ 3000rpm under load.

To be honest, it's the same as the turbo threads etc. Happy to post our results and people find out for themselves with other turbo models. Even though I already know the results with some, no one is really going to believe it until they find out them for themselves.

Post up some supporting info of your airbox comparisons other than the ones with the stock 1hd-t lid in comparison to your airbox.
How did you preform the test so people are able to replicate the tests.

upload_2014-10-1_3-26-49.png

Do the other options preform just as well until the higher RPMS like 3000 rpm +
Just valid questions.

And have tested water ingress to death.
"took it for a 250km drive after having fitted caster bushes in the front lower control arms, and flushing 20 litres of synthetic ATF thru the transmission, steering and transmission noticeably better. absolutely pissed down rain on the way back, and I can confirm that the XXi air box does not show water inside at all with forward facing snorkel ram at 120kmh into hard rain"

What are the chances that it was dry inside because the water went right through it?

No chance at all. This is all theoretical questions. The reality is a safari snorkel has a water seperator built into the ram head. It also has a 25mm lip at the bottom of the snorkel to entry to the gaurd/airbox. If I can hold the truck at 2500rpm on the dyno and throw a cup full of water into the ram to not even find a single drop in the airbox. Let alone make it past the internal devider. I'm sure it's fine.

1 owner got water in his xxi airbox. This was from the lid on backwards and a gurnie right under the lid. And if it's moisture in the air itself, then it makes no difference of design or filter used. If it's that light it will build up on any filter and eventually pull through - even Airbox's that draw from the top.

This looks to be a far better design for those concerned with water & debre injestion.
I belive cranky has 1 in hand now. It would be interesting to see how it all works out in the field.

Hamo

Yup these are from Cranky's truck "Sid"

Now this is going to get interesting, I have been thinking about this as now it would be possible to make up a decent size plenum for the 1hdft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom