Real time help HARD TOP question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wileycoyote

Watch this......
Threads
Have a shipper delivering a fj40. It's listed as a 1965. It has the corregated side panels and bifold doors. Top blew off in Texas. Question:
Are there any differences in just the white fiberglass top between say 1964 - 1975? I say 64 because I think this might be a held over model.

Yes... The corrugated side tops are different afaik ... I can not speak to specifics 100%... Wether it will fit or not... But... I recall ...

I think the issue is the corrugated top is a tad longer?

The fiberglass is taller and rounder ... But... Issue I think was a bit if a size thing

I could be wrong :) I do recall it comming up before however...

You guys are awesome. Now $$$$$ question: what's a top worth? Shipper is paying but I want to be fair. Picking up truck from delivery at 1:30 am

Most people dont just sell tge top panel... it would be a full top...

Newer tops (ambi door ) range 250-800 for the top depending on condition

Lift gate style I've seen at the higher range because more years will fit it and you don't have the rear door issue when tops off... 500-900

Corrugated tops are not as common.. Prices I recall are around 500-600 ... But most all have some sort of issue

They are not common therefore harder to find a replacement when you need one... But... They would normally sit for awhile because only a select few would need it if nobody needs one at that moment...

That being the biggest issue... Hard to find a replacement so I would ask for the higher side $800 ... It's not like you can call toyota and ask for part number fj40-5762

Btw it would be amazing if the parts catalog shows that as the part number for a fiberglass top panel wouldn't it :)

All this is of course IMHO :)

There is a "merchant" on eBay who has been trying to sell a '63 cap for ages. He's currently asking $650 obo.

The problem in assessing what a fiberglass cap is worth by itself, it seems to me, is this: Unless you are able to purchase a fiberglass cap on its own, you will have to spend an even larger chunk of money to purchase an entire assembled corrugated top and then you will be left to resell the orphaned sides and hatch without the necessary and of course correspondingly difficult-to-find missing fiberglass cap. You see? But then again, perhaps you will find someone who needs those sides, or just happens to have a cap for sale precisely when you need one. Who knows, right?

What I am really interested to know, though, is the name of this shipper who is taking financial responsibility for the top blowing off. That is remarkable, and deserving of recognition in my view given the known history of Land Cruiser caps taking flight in transit.

i can confirm the difference. i had a 77 panel on corrugated sides for a while because i needed to keep weather out and hadn't picked up the top panel from dad's shop. the 77 top was not wide enough in the back sides or front to back.. it sat on top of the corrugated panels, but did not go out even close to the edges.

The top blew off the convertible (that's where the name came from) and there wasn't much I could do. The shipping company claimed it didn't have a top when they picked it up. The bad part is the FJ45LV roofs are metal so, the guy behind him must have had a really bad day.

This picture was posted on mud before I joined. Few in that thread were making fun of my straps. This is 75/76 hard top on a early soft top but I use the same setup on early corrugated tops or later tops with rust issues along the drip rail.

attachment.jpg

I seeing the price on tops going up $800 would be a good price for a rust free, dent free later top with ambulance doors. early hard top loose are not easy to find. Unlike the Mid 65 and later non corrugated top no aftermarket optional is available plus the number of early corrugated hard top imported is a small fraction of newer style. The early top was a poorer design with the top cap being the worse. Have extra sets of sides and bi-fold doors. I'll be lucking to put together two caps out of the three I have.

So my 65 was delivered and I have to say it's nicer than the pics. Other than the top is missing. It took some negotiating on both shipper and my part but we agreed on $450 for the top. It sucks for both of us but it's done. With all that said, I am in the market for a corrugated top.
Fiberglass only.

How it works out for you. If you have plenty of time something will pop up. But like Johnny mentioned finding a just the fiberglass piece. Any distance and $450 won't even cover getting it shipped. This is the reason I have always made a road trip and picked my stuff up myself. There have been a number of threads on mud of tops flying off while being shipped or transport by the owner. If I were to ever have one shipped I would sent the shipper ratchet straps with the understanding that if the top got lost he would pay dearly. I did pick up a top cheaper then $450. I married a saint who has put up with my hobby for years. I bought the top because it came with the clean early FJ40 floor I had ever seen. I installed a rear axle hood and bib so it looked like a complete vehicle when I flat towed it home from a junk yard at other end of town. During transport it did have ratchet straps holding the top on.
0027.JPG
0025.JPG
0039.JPG

I'm going to keep this all old school. I love it. Very solid cruiser. Couldn't ask for more.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Another cali rig leaves us!!! Actually tried to buy it!! I will keep an eye out for a lid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom