HJ60 Running Warm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah cool thought that might have been the case ill modify to suite.

if your rad and cooling it's ok .. then I would check amount of fuel ( exhaust black smoke on acceleration ? ) and compression ..

BTW .. diesel runs cooler than gassers ..

Just something to consider...

Overheating is not always caused by bad fan clutches, clogged radiators or malfunctioning thermostats.
The water inlet openings at the junction of the head gasket on the head and block can plug up with a clay like gummy substance that blocks the water flow completely. The slightly ferrous "clay" can grow over time and can seal off coolant openings on the block and head completely.. blocking the flow of coolant to the head.
[Edit - The plugged coolant opening shown below developed in only 5 years.]

Wanna see a pretty picture of a 2F engine?

View attachment 944243
I know this is an oldy but this is the first post I’ve come across that makes sense with my symptoms and condition of my engine.

Do you know a way to clear these passages without removing the head? Pipe cleaner / coat hanger through freeze plug opening? Etc.

I’m thinking my water jacket needs a cleaning. Cooling system is new (new rad, water pump, thermo, fan clutch) and works great until a long hill climb. Then temps rise towards red. (86 HJ60)

I’m thinking my water jacket needs a cleaning.
Some people use a weak hydrochloric acid acid solution. Im not sure of the procedure. But fit some nylon stocking across the coolant inlet to the radiator to stop anything that gets loose from entering the radiator
Its not un normal for an old N/A diesel temperatures to creep upward on a long hill, it depends on how hot it gets. Or has the temp creep changed recently? Im assuming you are dropping back a gear and letting it rev fast?

Some people use a weak hydrochloric acid acid solution. Im not sure of the procedure. But fit some nylon stocking across the coolant inlet to the radiator to stop anything that gets loose from entering the radiator
Its not un normal for an old N/A diesel temperatures to creep upward on a long hill, it depends on how hot it gets. Or has the temp creep changed recently? Im assuming you are dropping back a gear and letting it rev fast?
Yes to dropping a gear. On some of the steeper hills I’ll even throw it into 4low with the hubs unlocked.

As far as my history with it… I bought it last fall. Bought it long distance. Unfortunately couldn’t look at in person and the guy I had look at it didn’t notice any overheating.

Once I got it i noticed the overheating issue going up hill and also while sitting in traffic for a long time.

I pretty much changed the entire cooling system. Aluminum Radiator, lower temp t-stat, water pump, fan clutch…

Cooling system now works beautifully everywhere except on those hills. It doesn’t seem to boil over though. Heat readings from a temp gun show roughly 220-225F at the t-stat housing. Just shy of red on the gauge but it’s hotter than I’m comfortable with.

I always start by checking the pressure in the hoses. If they are soft, its usually a bad radiator cap or a hose has a leak when hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom