Jackson Safety WH40 SmarTIGer Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet with Balder Technology $81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been keeping track on this for nearly a year, the lowest price its ever been so I snagged one since I missed the $50 rebate last year.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFJLRD4/?tag=ihco-20

Be nice to finally have a decent helmet and put the HF up as a spare.

Thanks for the input, I put it in camelcamelcamel.com last year and got an email this morning and jumped on it, funny how the amazon algo's work, I won't buy anything on Amazon now without first seeing what the price has done over the last year.

After burning some rods on that press brake a couple weeks ago I realized it was time to buy a quality helmet. The HF was ok for MIG but the amount of adjustability and getting it dialed in for stick wasn't doable plus I'm setting up the TIG next weekend and didn't want to gamble with my eyes.

J, I have the WH70 with the Balder Tech and I love mine.. Use it more than my Speedglas 9K series..

J

Just wanted to publicly thank Jason for his personal, to me, recommendation for the Jackson/Balder WH70 BH3: Thanks amigo! I've been using the basic Miller auto lid for the past 6+ years. Its always been a challenge for me to see the puddle especially since going to TIG (seemed to be OK for MIG work...); thought it was my aging eyes.

But after ordering up upon Jason's real world and pro welder experience with this helmet I finally got to test the new Jackson out the other day and WOW what a difference! Its like looking at the torch flame and puddle with high definition optics! Although I'm just a home garage welding hack this helmet upped the welding results I get by a significant factor.

And the blue coloration aids in giving the puddle better clarity for me too. The only thing I'm pissed about...I didn't get this helmet sooner. Like many things you do get what you pay for!

Thanks again J!
Welding helmet side by side.jpg

What's the big difference between the WH70 and WH40? Is it just viewable area? I saw the WH40 on amazon for $99 and was about to buy it, but thought I'd search around for review and this thread popped up. :)

Last edited:
What's the big difference between the WH70 and WH40? Is it just viewable area? I saw the WH40 on amazon for $99 and was about to buy it, but thought I'd search around for review and this thread popped up. :)

D, We PM'd about it, but for the others... Better visibility and std cable vs HD clarity, IMO.

J

+1 on the Jackson's, I know I'll never buy anything else but them. Loving the 40 but keeping my eyes on the 70's price thru camelx3 and will pounce when its sub $175

I got the 40 yesterday and tried it out. It's freaking nice. Very clear optics which allowed me to see the weld puddle easily.

I'll keep my eye out for the 70 as well.

I thought the HF was an upgrade over the dark mask but it doesn't hold a candle compared to the Jackson, you can actually see the puddle form, with the HF auto you kind of had to guess and start dragging it. I've been able to make much better looking welds with the new mask no matter stick, mig, or tig.

My welds are definitely getting better with this helmet. Crystal clear view of the weld puddle.

I welded up a bracket for a Sanden AC compressor for my OM617a swap. Not too shabby :)

Weld.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom