Got a cracked up dash on my '06 GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

same here I got a spider line crack in the dash going up near the top of the gauges, a factory replacement dash is going to cost a lot, only thing to do is avoid future cracking with a dash pad or armorall

There's some info about it on t4r.org ... Strangely I can't say I've ever seen a cracked one. Maybe only prevalent in places that get extreme temps either cold or hot?

There's some info about it on t4r.org ... Strangely I can't say I've ever seen a cracked one. Maybe only prevalent in places that get extreme temps either cold or hot?

I think it's just heat/sun, we never see cracked dashes up here in the extreme cold

I use to own few Detail shops for 25 years The worst thing most people do they use some kind of oil base vinyl or leather protector for few times this action will cause the vinyl or leather to expand more than usual than once the excitement of new ride is gone after while they do not apply it any more this action will cause the vinyl or leather to contract(shrink) more than it should have done so than cracks start developing .the best thing I do for my own cars use a wet Micro towel and just wipe the dash remember because your dash shine like a mirror does not mean you have protection .

You really have to take care of those vinyl dashes unfortunately. They can be really weird at times, and they don't take kindly to UV of any kind.

yep, clean is better then additives

As someone that has been maintaining a fleet of about 20 trucks since the 80's, I can tell you that Armor All is bad for interior vinyl. Each driver is responsible for the appearance of their truck. We started noticing cracked dashes and other pieces on certain trucks after about 4 years old. Come to find out those drivers were using Armor All. The rest just used a wet towel.

I've had my 04 t4r for 6 years, no armorall in my ownership. It has just started to crack on the arch above the instrument cluster and one at the glove box. Sucks that it happens to the GX also.

Mine is an 03 and never had any treatment and it is still fine.

I saw this infrequently when I worked for a Lexus dealer, in Texas. It wasn't an armor all related issue. The only Lexus dashes I saw crack (other than very early LS400s) were GX470's. Customers had some luck getting Lexus to replace if out of warranty if customer had excellent ownership / dealer maintenance history. You might have luck finding a used unit. Looks like they are selling for $500-$1000 on car-part.com

There is a factory recall on GX470's(and others) with cracked dash, which is apparently a common problem. Free replacement. I was notified in the Spring and as of last week the necessary parts to do the new install are not yet available. You do not have to be the original owner.
Rick Hartt, Phoenix Arizona

I just got my second letter for the cracked dash to go in, I will be doing it shortly

2004 GX. Im not the original owner. How would i go about getting the dash replaced under the recall?

We just called the local dealer a month or so ago, and they put us "on the list".

They called yesterday, and said 'your part is in, drop it off on Tuesday'.

I'll try to post before/after pics next week.

- Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom