FJ60 Stock Oil pressure & Fuel gauges "off" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Recently, and possibly at the same time, my oil pressure gauge has started reading at the "high" line and my fuel gauge doesn't rise much over 1/2 tank when filled. I suspect a ground issue as I have been doing some under-hood electrical work lately.
Does this sounds familiar to anyone? Is there a particular place I should look to chase down a bad ground that would impact these 2 gauges? The wiring diagram doesn't give ME any clues....

Thanks,
Mark

Standard problem with the 60's, but it can be fixed, I just pulled the cluster out and cleaned the back of it, put it back together and all good, except now that the fuel gauge works it's always reading close to empty:bang:

Took the cluster apart, cleaned THE contact and all of the posts to be sure of good electrical contact... put it all back together and.... no difference... I need to chase down potential ground issues. It SEEMS like I have a good grounds engine block to neg terminal & body to neg terminal.... where else should I be checking?

i wonder if you could have a problem with you fuel sending unit and oil sending unit. I have seen some posts on here of people having rust or broken winding on the fuel sending unit that will throw it off or it just will not work.

Took the cluster apart, cleaned THE contact and all of the posts to be sure of good electrical contact... put it all back together and.... no difference... I need to chase down potential ground issues. It SEEMS like I have a good grounds engine block to neg terminal & body to neg terminal.... where else should I be checking?
Not sure where to next, cause this worked for me, I was waiting for for Spike to come up with a fix

The typical gauge problem that I've read and experienced was the fuel sender, at the tank, corroding and causing spikes in both the temperature and fuel readings. I haven't heard of the fuel sender effecting oil pressure.

That said, lifting the cargo carpet and cleaning the electrical connection on the fuel sender is a pretty easy, fast troubleshooting step. (and probably needs done anyway.) Wiggling the wire bundles that you've been working on and cleaning the oil sender connection would also be on the list. Could be the oil sender circuit triggers the temp gauge just like high resistance in the fuel sender signal does.

So finally reporting back... it was the ground wire that bolts to the center of the rear of the body under the tailgate. The wire was broken. Fixed it and the fuel gauge is all better.

Oil pressure gauge is reading high... just above the upper line, just into the high section. I have since change the oil and filter and have seen no change... if anything it has crept up a tiny bit over time. I will swap out the sending unit but is there some other issue that would have this symptom?

My oil pressure gauge constantly fluctuates, normal reading is right around the high line and will dip into the middle to lower line when idling. I have taken this as a normal item and thus watch it but not like a hawk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom