Sleeping-plattforms - how to sleep inside (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I copied and saved all the pics. Whoever owns this, really good workmanship!

Added carpet to my sleeping/storage platform. Carpeted the tailgate, and plastidipped my bolt hangers and added a QuickDraw for a handle and easy access.

1412259375683.jpg

1412259398925.jpg

1412259412385.jpg

1412259429239.jpg

Too bad someone couldn't create a inflatable sleeping shelf much like this? Than it could be easily stored when not in use.
46d91d99e71f246653e87ec370216065f8765c03.jpg

Wow, here are now some good examples!

Personally I use two 15l Engel Boxed, one as fridge, one as cooling box. Compared to other brands i safed a lot of height. From Waeco is a "Drawer-Style" cooling box (non fridge) availabel who allows you to safe much more height at sample - than in my build.
Dusche.jpg

That gives enough space to sleep comfortable there. We life two months in this car on our transafrica.
DSC01600.JPG

There is no perfect solutions arround - just good compromises.
Surfy

Wow, here are now some good examples!

Personally I use two 15l Engel Boxed, one as fridge, one as cooling box. Compared to other brands i safed a lot of height. From Waeco is a "Drawer-Style" cooling box (non fridge) availabel who allows you to safe much more height at sample - than in my build.

Dusche.jpg

That gives enough space to sleep comfortable there. We life two months in this car on our transafrica.

DSC01600.JPG

There is no perfect solutions arround - just good compromises.

Here's a link to some pics of the platform in my 80 series. It's a "common" dealer installed option that a lot of the JDM units have/had. I have yet to see 2 the same.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-new-baby-is-home.227494/page-2#post-3433510

I have since installed a fridge on the drivers side, with a single bed down along side it. I was using a self inflating mattress on it, but it wasn't quite comfy enough. I have been using a foldable foam mattress ( I think it was from Jysk, looks something like this) and it works great. Super comfy, just a little on the bulky side when folded up.

Just wanted to add my latest efforts to this list. For my truck I needed something that can be removed easily and carried to the camp without taking up passenger space. Also since this is my daily being able to get it in and out of the truck at a moments notice means I can go out for a night without having to think twice about getting the kids in the truck the next morning to go to school.

The truck is longer than a 40 but shorter than a troopy or 60. The platform consists of 3 sections of red pine slats. Its a test run..... but as I say that I'm sure the old if it aint broke thing will come into play. It will probably get used like this for years. When I rebuild it it I will stick with the weight saving plank system but use quality plywood to make the planks.

The whole thing tucks up to the roof and can be set up from within the truck in minutes.
image.jpg

image.jpg

More in my build thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/84...pair-and-upgrade-making-it-mine.807688/page-6

Pete

Thats a sweet setup. What kind of ply do you use. Any idea on the total weight?

Pete

This is my great budget drawer setup, It'll be getting a sheet of finished plywood over the top with lift up wings on each side. Then the monster 15" tall air mattress I got will be able to be rolled out on top and aired up snoozing comfortably on the beach, or wherever I may roam. :)

The drawers come right up to the back of the second row seats, so that when folded down the seat becomes the top half of the bed with a slightly raised head. Should be comfy I think.

I'll also be getting one of those rear enclosures that B Point posted for my big feet to hang off the bed and still be "inside".

Can't wait for SPRING! :D

DSC_0035.jpg

Can't wait for SPRING! :D

WHy wait?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The catalytic heater and hot water bottle for the sleeping bad will do ya right!
image.jpg

Pete

Last edited:
Pete, looks sweet! Looks like a great day for a winter trip. I like your set up. They sure have cool camping
gear available in Japan.

That's a great setup you've got there!

Unfortunately there are few places to take your truck off road around here without a long drive. :(

I'm more of a warm weather person. My thing is usually surf fishing on the 4x4 access beaches here.

I'd love to try camping/fishing on the beach.

@cruiserpilot the heater is Canadian Coleman. It just takes the edge off. The copper water bottle is Japan. Good stuff!

Pete

I'd love to try camping/fishing on the beach.

@cruiserpilot the heater is Canadian Coleman. It just takes the edge off. The copper water bottle is Japan. Good stuff!

Pete

Do you get condensation build up from the stove in the truck? I can see with canvas that you might have a bit of 'extra' airflow due
to gaps, but my understanding is the propane stoves introduce moisture into the air, or am I wrong?

It's a white gas powered heater. I keep the rear doors cracked just a bit with a tarp hanging over the back doors as well as crack the front door windows throughout the night. I've also added thin carpet underlay felt to the interior roof specifically to insulate that surface and reduce condensation. Once the copper water bottle is hot the heater gets snuffed out. I'll get some pics soon.

Actually more than the heater there is condensation on the interior from your breath during sleep.

The mat and sleeping bag make it all work. They are super warm. The mat is Exped MEga and the bag is montbell. I also have a thermolite liner that adds a significant layer of warmth. Throw in that hot water bottle and your toasty well below freezing.

Pete

I almost prefer to open the windows wide, wear a toque in cold weather. I'm more worried about the stuff in the
truck being cold, not me.

I use a Coleman low profile cot which fits perfectly in an 80. There's no need for an extra mattress as the cot is comfortable enough. It can be set up in a couple minutes but I usually just leave it set and small stuff can be stashed under the frame. Having the rear extension tent is REALLY nice and adds a lot of space and "breathing room". Condensation is never an issue anymore. The tent goes up in 22.5 seconds....haha..my daughter timed me..

DSC_0111_zps9f8e9f45.jpg

CBD6BDD6-3119-434F-9321-5E5002CC34C8-14259-00000B61A9B6F650_zps4bf56eb6.jpg

I have a 1990 FJ62.. and ..

I love this set-up! I think I want this exact setup, but possibly slideable? So I can pull it back, when I want to put up the rear bench seat?
And when I want to use the full back area, I'll fold the bench down, slide this homemade deck forward and lock it in place. Then I would have 2 more rear deck sections, one to make full use of the rear compartment space to the closed tailgate. And a final section, that would add on and extend the deck onto the dropped tailgate.

Can I ask you? Where did you get that cool tailgate/window enclosure tent? Did you make that? I would like something like that, to keep the bugs and weather out.

Awesome ideas. Thanks..
-Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom