Warn bumper on a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fantic

SILVER Star
Threads
Just bought a 8274 that was still mounted on a Warn bumper. The bumper came off a 78 Ford F250. The bumper is in three pieces. The main winch mount and the outside pieces that mount to the truck frame. If I take the winch mount by itself and lay it on the frame and bumper of my 40 six holes line up. Four where the tow hooks are and two on the bumper. First question is will this be strong enough. Not a big offroad guy. Mostly around the farm and hunting. Second will the 40 over heat with the winch blocking the radiator. Thanks.

Second will the 40 over heat with the winch blocking the radiator. Thanks.

Can't tell you much about your bumper without seeing it, but tons of folks (including me) run an 8274 on their 40 with no overheating problems.

Thanks. I should have been more clear. Worried about overheating with the winch and mount on top of the bumper instead of the cable running through the middle of the bumper where I see most are located.

Through the middle is preferable, but I can't see another couple of inches higher making much difference to the radiator.

It's not the same but i took a chevy bumper and modded it to fit my toyota pickup and it had an 8274 and I wheeled that and it didn't over heat and I did no mods and even didn't have a fan shroud.

Is this the same bumper you are talking about? If so, mine has been plenty strong. The 80 is a heavy pig.

IMG_0112.JPG

Exactly. I was thinking of just using the mount in the middle and place it on top of the frame and bumper.

Many jeeps (older CJ's especially) have a similar WARN mount used to mount the 8274. Closely resembles the middle section of the bumper we have. Can't say much about overheating issues, but again, plenty stout enough to get the job done.

Back to "our" bumper--I've been told that the older model with the W embossed above the fairlead are less prone to failure than the later models of the WARN Classic winch bumper with just a W sticker above the fairlead. I have nothing to back this up with and the differences may be marginal at best.

Good luck and post back if/when you've got it mounted up.

Well got it done. No overheating but the high has only been 70 deg. There are 6 half inch grade 8 bolts holding it on. You can also see my battery switch on the firewall.

Winch front view.jpg
Winch top view.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom