For DIY, What Oil & Filter Are You All Running? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So on all my other trucks I have run Valvoline dino oil and Wix oil filters, I used to run full synthetic on my 4Runner but because of the expense, I eventually went back to dino. I recently bought an '11 FJC and it is time for an oil change. I plan on keeping the FJ until it dies from old age/high miles. So, what oil and filter are you all running?

I read some of the high mileage FJC posts and would also like to get out as many miles as possible out of mine.

Thanks in advance,
ML

I buy Toyota filters from ACC (who probably gets them from @Sam Stewart) and then I buy Mobil1 synth 5W-30 when the 5qt jugs go on sale for $22 at Walmart. I usually buy enough oil to last me a year and just store it.

10 or newer FJCs REQUIRE 0W20 oil which is a full synthetic. You can buy it from Toyota dealers but a lot of the A/M brands are making it now. The Toyota bottled stuff retails for $7.12/qt. I always use the Toyota filters myself so I can't say anything to the effect of any of the A/M ones. The Toyota ones are really cheap though so I don't see any benefit of an A/M one. MUD price is $4.06 each.

And yes Rick they do buy them from me. :D

I've run 100% synthetic oil and quality filters in my 2007 since the first oil change, currently running Amsoil "Ea" oil filters and Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 oil. 160,000 miles on the clock, and it doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil between 12-15,000 mile oil changes.

I've been a big believer in synthetic oil and lube products for a long time; run them in everything. Air-cooled motorcycle engines are what really convinced me though.

I'm also a fan of the OEM filters and synthetic oil in the engine, still prefer dyno in the t-case and diffs...

Yeah, if you go through a lot of water and change your diffs frequently anyway, it's probably a lot more economical to stick with conventional gear lube.

For my 2008, I use the TRD oil filter, mobil 1 full-synthetic, and about a quart of lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. The combination of these seems to provide really good performance.

Thanks to All for the replies...

10 or newer FJCs REQUIRE 0W20 oil which is a full synthetic. You can buy it from Toyota dealers but a lot of the A/M brands are making it now. The Toyota bottled stuff retails for $7.12/qt. I always use the Toyota filters myself so I can't say anything to the effect of any of the A/M ones. The Toyota ones are really cheap though so I don't see any benefit of an A/M one. MUD price is $4.06 each.

And yes Rick they do buy them from me. :D

Thanks Sam, I will be ordering a dozen filters soon. I guess ordering the oem oil from you would get expensive shipping-wise cause of the weight?

ML

Thanks Sam, I will be ordering a dozen filters soon. I guess ordering the oem oil from you would get expensive shipping-wise cause of the weight?

ML

Yeah it's really not cost effective to try to ship. Plus we really can't ship it because it's considered hazmat. :/

Props to Sam! Great customer service & price. My dozen filters came in yesterday. oil changed, life is good.

Thanks again Sam.

Luis

Toyota 5W-30 Premium Fuel Economy oil and OEM Japan made oil filter. Redline High Performance 75W-85 MT-85 in transmission and 75W-85 Gear Oil in differentials.

Hope you know you need a ssc tool to get the oil filter off.
Why? Just turn it by hand or with some big pliers or some other tool which is made for oil filter loosening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom