What ply tires for M416 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bloomer

SILVER Star
Threads
Just past the middle of nowhere in South Texas
Ordered adaptors to convert M416 bolt pattern to 5x150 (tundra or land cruiser bolt pattern). I plan to use the same size/type tire I have on my land cruiser on the M416 (275/70/18 BFG AT/KO). I have 10 ply on the land cruiser and considered going 8 ply on the trailer to save a few $$$. Anyone have thoughts on why an 8 or 10 ply would be a better choice over the other? Obviously having 10 plys all around would give the most flexibility on rotating, but I'll likely not have the same rims. So if the need to rotate occurred, it will only be temporary and likely an emergency situation. Thanks again for any input!

Trailer tech or tire tech, well wasn't quite sure where it fit best.

Decided to go with identical tire to those on my land cruiser. 10 ply BFG A/T KO

image.jpg

I would have gone with much lesser load rating. The higher the ply the less floatation. Your trailer will never weigh that much and even at low tire pressures the trailer will bounce and cause all sorts of issues .

It will bounce if you run the trailer tires at FJ pressure. Our off-road camp trailer (~600 lbs unladen) came to us with 33-12.50 BFG A/T's on it and I usually ran them at about 10 psi on the highway. I once made a ~300 mile tow with one at 5 psi and the other didn't register on the pop-up type gauge. Oops. Neither tire was overly warm or in any other kind of distress. Fully loaded, at 10 psi, I towed it out to the treeline at Sandlake, OR. Had to lower the TP on the tow rig, but the trailer floated just fine on the sand even the chewed-up, soft loamy stuff right at the edge of the pavement.

Can not just apply the same tire "rules" from the tow rig directly to the trailer.

I've been curious about this. Typically trailer tire pressure is supposed to be much higher, around 70 or 80 psi for a camper with trailer tires. Apparently the number one cause for trailer accidents is low tire pressure from what I hear. I have an m416 with 33 ATs, what pressure should the trailer tires tow at safely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom