unique situation (need a lighter winch) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well i got stuck 40 ft into swamp with nothing to pull from and the front mounted winch (8274) was "under water". it was here i realized i need a portable Winch that i can move to either the front or rear of the rig depending on the foreseen need. can anyone recommend a winch that is strong enough to be useable on an (empty) 80 series and still light enough to move front or rear as needed.. say around 75 lbs> my 8274 with a synthetic line is around 120lbs debilitatingly heavy.

An 8274 weighs 110# with 150' of 5/16" wire rope. That rope weighs 27#. If you switched to synthetic (150' of 5/16" AmSteel Blue weighs 4#) you would get the winch down to 87#. Still a bit heavy but it makes a big difference.

The other option is to simply mount a winch under the rear of that 80. I have seen pictures of a couple different winches mounted there. Then you don't have to move anything!

I would suggest either permanent mount under the rear of your truck. But for a receiver mount that is manageable,
Warn M8000 with synthetic rope would be the ticket.

no winch mounted either frt or rear at this time. my 8274 has synthetic line add bolt on recever/carrior and no way in hell is it portable. is an M8000 got enough to pull the 80 series?

I've always been wondering about the strength of the receiver and insert tubes in side pulls with those removable winches... Deserves some more thought than just sticking a trailer type system in there.

Good pt e999999999. im planning have the front and rear hutch receiver beefed up significantly.. to handle the angled tug.

8K pound winch will do the trick if you are not " stuck " worse case scenario an snatch block with do the trick .. altho I would not care if my winch is under water or not ..

tapage are you saying a 8274 winch will work fine under water? its not a sealed or water tight winch..

tapage are you saying a 8274 winch will work fine under water? its not a sealed or water tight winch..

yes ... it would't be the first or the last time .. that I have to use a winch ( not specifically 8274 model ) under the water .. sure not the safest maneuver by any means ..

I use a boat winch, 12v, witch three snatch blocks, yes childs play but next is the high lift, air jack, boards.
So level up, pull back, not fast but when it gets dark and -18c every inch in the right direction is good.

file.php

file.php

file.php

just a curiosity HJ 60 , did you get out from that situation with that small which and 1 battery ?
I can see that the car is empty , but the whole is deep!

bye Renago

Hi Renago, no it did not make it all the way but pretty far uphill. The force that it delivers with snatch blocks is very high.
katrol_uitleg4.jpg

When I wanted to use the highlift a friend came to help me out and his concern was that if I was there alone and the thing would slide back while lifting I would be under water :bang:

There was to much mud before the rear wheel, and the rear swaybar came loose, diff was in mud.
The winch has a safety so it will stop, then do some work and try again, the battery is small so to use the 2x12v from the HJ is better.
Very dangerous because the straps are guitar strings.
file.php

Last edited:
just a curiosity HJ 60 , did you get out from that situation with that small which and 1 battery ?
I can see that the car is empty , but the whole is deep!

bye Renago

Looks self explanatory to me by looking at the pics.

FWIW, I have used my 8274 completely submerged. Not so much as a hiccup. Worked great.

I have a HF 8,000lb (road gear?) winch on a receiver mount. It's heavy, but not horrible. Not sure what the weight is. My setup works like this: I have anderson connector setup on the front, so I can just plug and play. No 12v power to the back. What I do have is a 20' set of 4ga jumper cables with an anderson connector end. So for jumping I don't need to open the hood. Just plug them in. But if I need to winch in reverse, I put the winch on the back, then jumper cables up with the alligator clips onto the batter poles. Not ideal - but it works. or I could put the winch on any other vehicle as well.

On my new 4runner i'm going to have to mount the winch permanently as it will be hidden behind the front bumper. I've considered adding a HF 5,000lb badlands on a portable setup for rear pulling. They are cheap - relatively - and pretty light. And in my general experience backward pulls usually aren't going to require the full 8k lbs. Often just a little tug is all I need to get back a few feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom