2B, oil found inside air filter housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend ask me to look at his 2B having oil inside the air filter housing,i don't have first hand experience with this engine and would like get some pointers on where to look and what to look for.My friend told me that it completely soaked the air filter and dumped about half a cup of oil inside the housing this is his daily driver since it gets good mileage he never see any smoke out of the tailpipe and runs fine.Thanks in advance for your help.

Does he have the blow pipe routed to the air filter that would be the only way I could think of oil getting in there.
Blowby pipe is connected to the side cover of the engine it allows crankcase gasses to escape so pressure does not build up in the crankcase.

That is what i was also thinking,that the ventilation hose is routed to the air filter housing for some reason.is the hose (vent) suppose to go to the air cleaner or just vent it to the atmosphere? I will pay him a visit this weekend and check it out.

Could be an oil bath air filter some of my uncles Old trucks have them oil in air cleaner box for filter and tractors too

I have seen a few oil bath type air filter housing but never seen it soaked the entire air filter.

Blowby tube vents straight down to the atmosphere does a nice job of oil coating that side if the frame on a higher mileage B motor also referred to as good rust proofing.

How fast is he driving it? Old school diesels will suck up a bit of oil into the airfilter at high rpm if the breather is routed through there.
Overfilling the engine can also do it.
Was his filter clean before it got soaked in oil?

I'm not sure on how fast is he driving but i know he drives it to work everyday to the city (S.F.O) so i'm sure he drives it along the speed limit.I might swing by his place today and look at it to see why is the filter getting soaked.he just instaled a new filter and he told me that it is getting oil splatter again he said his oil level is good and not overfilled.Is there some kind of oil separator in the engine so it only vents out the vapor to the air cleaner or atmosphere?

Diesels generally have a piece of mesh or something to stop it splashing out. But I thought the 2B had a pipe that vented out the bottom of the engine and into the atmosphere,so maybe it has been modified. If so ,he might be better off returning it to an outside vent and adding a catch can.

No separator on these engines they are a simple design and vent straight down from the side cover tube.
Some guys add a catch can to collect the oil mist from the vent some guys have tried adding a separator on a hose they route from the side cover to the air filter.
Ive even heard of routing it into the valve cover much like a PCV on a gasser.
My opinion is just attach a catch can (soup can) stuffed with some steel wool or a Brillo pad on the end of the vent tube.

No separator on these engines they are a simple design and vent straight down from the side cover tube......

But the vent tube comes off the pushrod cover and I believe Toyota did this with the idea that blowby taking this circuitous route would automatically lose most oil droplets (that would then drain back into the sump).

In other words, in Toyota's design our engine's internals should be acting just like a "catch can".

IMO....Only with excessive engine wear should the blowby exiting that tube carry sufficient oil for it to represent an issue

:beer:

PS. And turbo-charging means your tolerances that represent "excessive engine wear" simply become smaller

Yeh I should of mentioned that there is a baffle configuration on the internal side of the pushrod cover I am not sure if the design is the same on all of the B motors its purpose is to catch the oil before exiting like lostmarbles said.
This design works well on a tight motor but on a worn motor there is a high build up of crankcase pressures which forces the oil past the baffles and out the tube usually a mix of diesel and oil or a black carbon oily film on a worn loose motor.

My friend sent me a short video where the hose is attached to,from the side cover the hose goes straight up to the air cleaner housing i told him to remove the hose from the air cleaner and point it down and find a quart bottle to tie at the end of the hose. Some 5.9 Cummins moved the vent tube from the side cover to the front timing cover in early 2000 and they attached a pill bottle at the end of the hose we had to drain it every 3rd oil change due to oil accumulation. I was thinking of putting the bottle in between the hose going to the air cleaner and install a T connector to separate the oil droplets from the vapor.

My friend sent me a short video where the hose is attached to,from the side cover the hose goes straight up to the air cleaner housing i told him to remove the hose from the air cleaner and point it down and find a quart bottle to tie at the end of the hose. Some 5.9 Cummins moved the vent tube from the side cover to the front timing cover in early 2000 and they attached a pill bottle at the end of the hose we had to drain it every 3rd oil change due to oil accumulation. I was thinking of putting the bottle in between the hose going to the air cleaner and install a T connector to separate the oil droplets from the vapor.

I remember studying/teaching about oil separators at one time.

Entrained oil separates best when the gases carrying it are made to:
  • change direction-of-travel rapidly & repeatedly (so that droplets are flung out against cool surfaces)
  • pass through mesh/gauze/pot-scrubber-material (so that there is a large surface area for the droplets to impinge on)
  • cool down
  • etc.

So a simple plastic bottle won't catch much by itself unfortunately..

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom