Water Can Spigot Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have 2 of these and they work great, but they are pretty thin walled plastic:

Coleman - 5-gallon Water Carrier -

but that's not the point of this exercise... we want to use the heavy duty jerry cans AND have the spigot option available....

Thread revival. Say hallelujah!

I like the Scepter water jugs. Everything else I've tried leaks. But using the cap to try to regulate flow to wash hands, dishes, whatever, is cumbersome. Wasteful.

I was trying to think up a solution, did a search, and of course others have tried to address the problem.

I went with Jon's idea in post #14 and used a ½”-14 NPT tap to thread the inside of the outlet. Then ran a 1/2" quarter turn hose bibb in by hand. Threads turned out a little fuzzy, but I didn't use teflon or anything and doesn't leak.

I like this idea because I can just spin the valve out, throw it in the mess kit, and twist the cap back on; no drilling holes or adding anything that would threaten the integrity of the jug. Worked out so well I tapped the outlet on all 4 of my Scepter cans.

Thanks for the idea Jon.

photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG

Last edited:
Thread revival. Say hallelujah!

I like the Scepter water jugs. Everything else I've tried leaks. But using the cap to try to regulate flow to wash hands, dishes, whatever, is cumbersome. Wasteful.

I was trying to think up a solution, did a search, and of course others have tried to address the problem.

I went with Jon's idea in post #14 and used a ½”-14 NPT tap to thread the inside of the outlet. Then ran a 1/2" quarter turn hose bibb in by hand. Threads turned out a little fuzzy, but I didn't use teflon or anything and doesn't leak.

I like this idea because I can just spin the valve out, throw it in the mess kit, and twist the cap back on; no drilling holes or adding anything that would threaten the integrity of the jug. Worked out so well I tapped the outlet on all 4 of my Scepter cans.

Thanks for the idea Jon.

View attachment 939711 View attachment 939712 View attachment 939713 View attachment 939714

I like this but do not have a 1/2 tap nor can I seem to find one local. So I screwed a Gardena two way valve that I had laying around on it and it seems to work good. It was a tight fit but didn't screw up the treads on can cap and because someone gave this to me years ago it was free which is kinda nice. Also with the breather screw open more I could get the top one flowing also.
IMG_20140921_145314108.jpg

Also could do it this way and leave the female adapter on can
IMG_20140921_145819189.jpg

I don't know. It sounded like he just randomly picked one. He communicates by carrier pigeon, but if i see him at the next club meeting I'll ask him.

This is version 2.0 with a food grade spigot from a coffee dispenser. I don't have to move the jerry can from its home location to dispense water, which was my biggest criteria.

IMAG0137.jpg

My only concern with a spigot mounted in the side of the container, especially with the can mounted in a vehicle, is that if it gets broken off the water will drain onto the floor/carpet and under everything you have in there. Particularly bad with a drawer system installed... and it seems like it would be too easy to break it off in a wheeling/camping scenario.

My only concern with a spigot mounted in the side of the container, especially with the can mounted in a vehicle, is that if it gets broken off the water will drain onto the floor/carpet and under everything you have in there. Particularly bad with a drawer system installed... and it seems like it would be too easy to break it off in a wheeling/camping scenario.

This one is very close to unbreakable

spigot.JPG

Inside my Land Cruiser I just changed to WaterBricks. This would also be very difficult to break.

IMG_9785.JPG

Did you add the spigot to the WaterBrick?

You can buy replacement cap with a spigot from WaterBrick. The Waterbrick spigot did not suit my needs so I adapted my old faucet to the Waterbrick HERE. For me THIS set up works much better then any spigot I have tried.

That's a valid concern, thankfully I haven't had that issue. Mine has been going strong for five plus years, knock on wood!

Double Duty

Went south last week. Weather was great but a little warmer than I planned and I didn't pack the shower. After a few days on the trail it became apparent by the odor in the trucks and around camp we needed a solution:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414674146.531479.jpg

Not as functional or user friendly as the camp shower, but worked pretty well, and significantly decreased the odiferous nature of the group :)

Also, I noticed we used significantly less water on this trip. I would say at least 20%. I attribute the decrease in water consumption to increased control using the spigot.

Glam shot - Wash station with a million dollar view:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414674791.781989.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, kids.... :doh:
Didn't think of that.

So now, five years later I have a couple of kids and also somehow have over 10 MWCs, so I started looking into a good solution for a Scepter spout. None of the solutions on this thread seemed like they would work for me. Many of them require a dedicated modified water jug, some with protrusions that make them not fit in standard jerry can holders or would catch on stuff, etc. Others required a special modified cap that I would have to carry in addition to the regular caps and switch between cans when necessary.

I did consider heavily the 12v system from my friend and neighbor Beau @ http://www.livingoverland.com/p/store.html, and while the convenience is awesome, it is more expensive, I'd have to have wire power to the back of the rig where we cook, I don't think it is durable enough to store in a can and hold up to being thrown off the roof or other such abuse that I seem to subject my stuff to, so would have to store the whole thing separately inside the vehicle - something I don't want to make space for.

Then, I found the solution to every one of my problems. It met the requirements for durability, simplicity, size, ease of use, price, and the ability to easily switch between cans. Don't have to modify anything either (a downside also, I suppose...). It's almost like it was made for it. ;)

scepter_mwc_dispenser.jpg

Made by Scepter

Available at Amazon, Ebay, and many other retailers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom