The Coleman Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a neat cooler! That looks like it was made in the days when MTV still played music.... I have always wanted an old steel belted coleman cooler. Even if I didn't use it for it's intended purpose, it would be a cool storage box for stoves and other gear.

Garage sale, $5

IMG_20140906_183814.jpg

After reading this entire 47 pages i'm hooked on it,i have been looking in the last few months trying to find a good starter to this collection of sorts and found a 426E which never seen any used some small dents on the lid but overall very clean shape. Just love old school tech.

20140907_142807.jpg

20140907_142833.jpg

20140907_142848#1.jpg

Awesome shape. I have the spare generator for that if you ever need one. For the E they can be a bit hard to find.

I always wondered about the letters,what is the difference? Just want to learn more. Drew i will test it soon and find out if it needs it.Thanks.

I always wondered about the letters,what is the difference? .

It's very inconsistent. It usually means some significant design change, but not always. For instance, Coleman made 426 and 426A that were very similar. The 426B went to a molded tank but similar case. Then changed the tank color. 54-60. Then the 426C used the same case, burners, tank and legs, and only a very minor difference in the wind wings. 60-64 Then the 426D had an entirely new case, and burner support, but there were multiple versions of the case with different grates over the years that kept the "D". 65-83? The B, C, and D all use the same generator. The E was only made a few years and uses a different generator that it shares with the 413H which is also less common. After just a couple of years those were replaced with the dual fuel 414 that ran for years, often called the Powerhouse. There is also a 413H Powerhouse, but only 1 or 2 years. Total marketing BS.

It's worse with lanterns. The 242, 242A, 242B, 242C (38-50) use the same generator and valve but the upper brass casting was different only on the early ones, making you wonder why the designation change. The 200A was an entirely new lantern that ran from 51-83 with many running changes yet was always called a 200A. It uses the same generator as the 242 series, so that's a very easy to find generator because it's still made.

I had a guy at work today give me this heater. October of 72.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410295680.155742.jpg

TLCA #13178 Appalachia Cruisers, STLCA

I'll take it! PM me shipping to 27713 and I'll get it out of your hair.
No I found it for $5 at a garage sale. I'd probably part with it if the price was right though. ;)

There is no sound like an old coleman double mantle lantern turned up high. Led laterns are nice but lack the character of those old colemans.
Just thinking of the unique sound brings me back to hunting with Dad and starting it up in the dark on very cold fall mornings in the forest. I remember many mornings fumbling to make hot coffee with numb fingers with the nearby coleman roaring in the stillness. Pumping up the pressure in the stove hoping it had enough fuel in it to light.

You don't realize it at the time but those are some of the fondest memories.

Picked these off CL for $5/can and did $35 for both the heaters.
20140910_143222.jpg

Picked this up last month off of Craigslist for $10.00.
It's a 1965, 200, Made in Canada. Original Globe, no dents.

When I went to purchase it, the guy said it was old and did work the last time he used it... but when I showed up he couldn't get it to work.
Offered him $10... and he took it! Simple fix, dried up pump cup and torn mantel. Within 5min of getting it home, I had it working.

Upon further inspection, the lantern needed some TLC and it had some mis-matched pieces.

Decided to go ahead and do a full restore!

All the parts are obtainable through www.oldcolemanparts.com

Cost me around $30.00 for the paint and misc pieces.
Fun little project!

There seems to be a small U/G "cult" of people who collect and restore old Coleman lanterns, who knew! lol
I think I'm a little hooked.... if you have any old coleman you don't want anymore, let me know!

Enjoy!

Crimson-That came out super nice. We need to see the light up shot. Very nice job. Now you need a stove.

Sweet job and thanks for sharing the parts link!

Picked up this 1960 Canadian "236" 2 weeks ago
It was in rough shape... this is the best I can get the nickel.
Considering it's age, out of 10... I'd give it a 6. With some more TLC perhaps a 7.
Sometimes finding/purchasing a lantern is more interesting than the lantern itself!

I happened to stumble into a VERY cluttered Antique store on the way home from work.... The shop owner seemed more like an Antique Hoarder than a dealer. I made my way through the store for 10-15 minutes... Just about to walk out when the Shop owner ask me "looking for anything particular?" in a raspy voice.
Me: "Well, Not really....... Ummm, do you have any old Coleman Lanterns?"

Shop Owner: "Like those green ones that run on gas?"

Me: "Yes, something like that"

Shop owner: "I mostly collect Antiques but I think I may have something across the street in my storage facility. Let me grab my keys"

So here I am J-walking across a busy street following this hoarder into dimly lit storage building.
I'm thinking this can only go two ways! 1.) It's all for not... and it's some storm lantern that runs on oil 2.) My wife and kids never see me again! lol

We walk around this packed warehouse and he points down to a dark corner "I think its there"
I reach in and I could not believe my eyes... trying to keep cool.... Remembering what American Pickers say "keep cool, don't show them how much you really want it or how excited you are"

I noticed right away its a 236, made in Canada, original globe.

Me: "hmmm, kind of rough"

Shop Owner, "Yes, a bit big, eh? Well, I don't really sell camping gear so I'm not sure why it's here"

Me: "How much you want for it?"

Shop owner, "$30"

Me, "Take $20? (thinking if he said no... I'd still take it)

Shop owner, "Sure"

I flip him a 20... and walk away as fast as I can!

I jump into my Land Cruiser...stop around the block to inspect it in greater detail...This should polish up nicely....score!

That's awesome CC! Great job on the resto.

There seems to be a small U/G "cult" of people who collect and restore old Coleman lanterns, who knew! lol
I think I'm a little hooked.... if you have any old coleman you don't want anymore, let me know!

Enjoy!

I would not call having several forums and an annual convention underground. The Coleman hobby is pretty popular in my book.

^^ And dont forget several parts vendors with hard to get and repro parts. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom