Toyo Open Country R/T Coming Soon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tread looks like a compromise to the Big 3 diesel truck owners, trying to get a bit more tread life out of
the center sections.

I know a lot of people love Duratracs. I'm coming off a set of Nitro Terra Grapplers 295/75/16. I got 4 years and 64K out of those. The Toyo OC AT2 is only 1/32 less in tread depth than the Duratrac, plus it comes in a 295. I'm not ready to commit to 35s yet. :) I was looking at the Hankook M/Ts but I feel like I need siping for winter.

Last edited:
These are awesome. I was curios when another tire manufacturer would come out with a hybrid. Wish it came in 285 for a 16"

Toyos are very heavy tires. A good indicator that they are built heavy duty and made for what they are designed.

Toyos are very heavy tires. A good indicator that they are built heavy duty and made for what they are designed.
Yup. They are heavy for good reasons. Smart people at the toyo laboratory. Let's see them already!

These are awesome. I was curios when another tire manufacturer would come out with a hybrid. Wish it came in 285 for a 16"

It is good to see the list of options growing. Here are the ones I consider "hybrids", does anyone have one that I missed?
Goodyear Duratrac (the first I believe)
Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3
Toyo Open Country R/T

Possibly the Toyo AT II Extreme (some sizes) and the new BFG AT KO2 as well (at least if the BFG even mostly lives up to the hype).

I hope to get new hybrid ATs next spring (tax refund) and am having a really hard time deciding which ones to get. Which is a good thing. I can go to several places and get quotes to hopefully get a good price.

^Those are the tires I am leaning towards, 50K warranty, hard to beat that. Also looking into the MTZ, I dont really need a mud tire at the moment but might wheel harder in a year or two so I am unsure....I only drive about 6-9 thousand miles a year so 50K will be around 6years of use out of any tire I get. for harder trails are MT alot more help or would the ATII xtreme or the ATZ work fine?

I also have a buddy who swears by Nitto Trail Grappler MTs but my parents dont have a large car and we use my cruiser for family road trips and am nervous about the MT road noise....

^Those are the tires I am leaning towards, 50K warranty, hard to beat that. Also looking into the MTZ, I dont really need a mud tire at the moment but might wheel harder in a year or two so I am unsure....I only drive about 6-9 thousand miles a year so 50K will be around 6years of use out of any tire I get. for harder trails are MT alot more help or would the ATII xtreme or the ATZ work fine?

I also have a buddy who swears by Nitto Trail Grappler MTs but my parents dont have a large car and we use my cruiser for family road trips and am nervous about the MT road noise....
I've had the A/T IIs for about 2 weeks now, and I'm still really impressed with them. There is some road noise, but nothing out of control. With the windows up it's negligible. They track straight at 70 mph, and they have handled great on the trail on rocks and in mud. The reason I didn't go with an M/T tire is because I can't afford to run one set for summer, and another for winter. Mud terrains can be dangerous on icy roads due to lack of siping. Not sure about the Mickey Thompsons on that point, but the Toyo AT is very well siped. Compared to its sister, the Nitto Terra Grappler, the Toyo has slightly deeper treads, and larger voids between the lugs. I have not run the Trail Grapplers (they look bad ass), but the Terras are a very capable tire.

My favorite tires ever so far are the toyo m55's ... They are stupid expensive now that they only offer the higher ply version of the tires... These have the same kinda look ... I don't care for all the garbage pattern on the sides of those new tires ... The 55's are plain Jane and worked great snow/rain/mud/city

I went with the Toyo A/T II's. Super happy so far! 295/75/16 Xtreme size. $229/tire

I have a friend in Basalt that just rolled over 45K on the same size A/T ii with solid reviews.

Can you post a close up of the tire from the side and the tread?

Im trying to talk myself into the A/T ii but Im not sure they are aggressive enough. A nice ride on the hwy would be nice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom