To cruise or not to cruise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Commuting is generally no fun. Doing it in a vehicle you enjoy being in and driving makes a big difference. I say drive it!

I get 19-20 mpg (calculated, not dash display) on this highway so it's not nearly as bad as my old 98 100. Given that I drove that every day for 16 years / 331k miles, tolerance for mileage is relative. If gas cost is an issue, or if you have to park in a low clearance parking ramp, I'd buy a cheap (<$8k, miles are irrelevant) Prius and drive that. Otherwise drive the Cruiser.

60 miles RT is a long commute. It'll put miles fast on your rig and cost a ton of money in gas. On the flip side...Are you going to be happy driving a beater around 90% of the time? Is there a compromise vehicle that will satisfy slightly better fuel efficiency and is still respectable? Perhaps a 4Runner v6 or less so a Highlander or Subaru CrossTrek?

Is there a Mrs? Can she inherit the 200 series and you buy a decent commuter? That way it's still in the driveway and getting used by you on the weekends. I currently have a 50+ mile commute and my wife and I have swapped cars for the time being.

Speaking of a compromise, we bought my wife a 2013 Impreza. It is very fun to drive (great handling and pick-up) and gets 38 MPG to boot. Fully loaded only cost $21k. We bought ours new, and have put on 45,000 trouble free miles. I am impressed

Wife drives a '14 4Runner Trail. It's listed under her business so we can write it off. I can still get a fun car for 10k with higher mileage such as an older Acura and still be pretty reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom