Lightning strike? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm curious if anyone else has ever had this happen in general to their vehicle, I will give you a short run down of what happened and what's going on.

August 22nd, I was at a race in Bristol, TN and a bad storm came through after it ended. We were waiting to get out of a dirt parking lot/campground to head to the hotel when a bolt of lightning hit between me and another vehicle (give or take 10-20 ft between us). I didn't notice any issues at first and got out of the parking lot, probably 15 minutes later I noticed ABS/VSC/Traction Control lights all came on but seemed fine (we had about hour drive or more to the hotel). I started noticing the battery was dying so I was going to get off on the next decent exit to make a game plain of what to do next.

It happened that there was a dealership right beside the hotel which was Rusty Wallace Toyota in Morristown. The FJC didn't make it to an exit before basically freaking out and dying on the side of I-81 at about 1:30 am. We called Toyota, they sent out a rollback and ended up taking us all the way to the hotel/dealership. It cost us $65 which was a steal for getting us atleast somewhere for the night. I got up the next morning to talk to the Toyota folks and decided to leave it there and grab a rental til we can figure out exactly what was going on etc.

We drove home, I talked to the insurance and they agreed to take it over along with the rental. They worked on it til about a week ago and said it was fixed, they replaced the whole ABS system, main computer, battery and alternator. Picked up last saturday, drove it home perfectly fine and all week til last night.

Now the same dash lights are coming back on, so I am taking it to the local dealership to let them look it over and then contacting the insurance about findings.

Just kind of curious what else or when the bleeding stops! I'm sure someone has some more to go on, but I'm almost waiting for the day either they replace it all or total it. I know the last bill was about $5200.

A friend of mine was recently hit by lightning in her Saab station wagon. It was DOA and totaled by State Farm, but then again a Saab is not a Toyota. Good luck with yours and let us know how it all turns out.

Here is what happened as of yesterday.

I took it to the local Toyota dealership to let them figure it out based on what the original shop told me (was a Toyota dealer), they called back saying it was a bad cat (P0420 code) and needed to be replaced at $1500 repair. I asked if they thought maybe a sensor or something was bad based on the other issues, they claimed no not at all it was the cat itself.

After that, I called the shop in Tn just to see what they might think. They said to run a tank of 93 oct through it for a couple weeks, then reset the computer to see if that fixes it.

Wow, I put a magnaflow cat on mine, re-routed the exhaust and didnt spend $350.

I'm sure you know you can get codes read at most autozone and advanced auto. I'd do like the TN guy says, run some good gas through it and see what happens then. Good luck...

Wow, I put a magnaflow cat on mine, re-routed the exhaust and didnt spend $350.

I'm sure you know you can get codes read at most autozone and advanced auto. I'd do like the TN guy says, run some good gas through it and see what happens then. Good luck...

Hell I'm better off going that route then if so.

I talked to a guy from the FJCforums who works for Midstate, he is going to look at it a little closer to see what exactly is going on. I just didn't get that warm feeling from Modern Toyota like they wanted to either get money or didn't want to take the time to deal with it. My brain always forgets why I didn't buy my FJC from them in the first place!

I had a 05 camry get struck by lighening. Car was parked alone in a large school parking lot and a storm rolled through, when I went to my car at the end of the day the trunk was popped open and I thought maybe i hit the button on the key fob but long story short insurance dumped 5 grand into it before they totalled it which worked out for me because a few years later I am driving a 98 LC! I would have been stuck with that camry till it died next century.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom