84 Hilux spare tire crank tool photo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you sir for that info! Looking forward to getting at it too. :D Real Truck... LOL!

-Daniel Kent

Started working on an aluminum ladder rack for it today.
ladder-rack-1.jpg

Looks interesting. How much weight are you thinking about putting up there? Just a pair of ladders?

Once I'm done moving next weekend I'm hoping to start on a similar rack but I'm undecided on mounting on top like yours or going right down into the box and making it's own frame. My plan is for a couple hundred pounds with 2 people, a roof tent and a kayak mount.

We're building a house in Portland this fall/winter. The motivation for the rack is to handle materials and tools. It will also haul some toys around. It's 95% done now. Doesn't make any excessive wind noise. Can't even tell it's there unless I'm looking in the rear view mirror. I'm guessing it weighs about 40 to 45 pounds at the most.

I'd guess it will carry at least 500 pounds as-is. I weigh 230-ish and if I stand at the end of the cantilever section it doesn't touch the roof. If I bounce on it I can make it flex enough to touch the roof. So I may add some additional diagonal 1" tube bracing from the vertical tube behind the door.
truck-rack-1.jpg
truck-rack-2.jpg
truck-rack-3.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm I like it... building a place in Portland eh. How about you come up across the border and install that one on my truck ;)

Well at least you attempted it, I'm looking at steel because I can work with that.

Any closer picture of the side rails? Looks like you make a L to sit overtop of the bed is that right?

Wanted a little more light at night so I stuck some HID floods in the front bumper. This little project took a lot more time to plan positioning than it took to do the fab work. I had some scrap elevator rails that I used as donor materials for the brackets. A 3" hole saw easily worked through the stock bumper with a hand drill.

truck-lights-1-sm.jpg

truck-lights-4-sm.jpg

truck-lights-5-sm.jpg

truck-lights-3-sm.jpg

truck-lights-2-sm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom