Builds Isuzu 4BD1T Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This last obstacle is killing me, dying to know if the rad was the problem cause I was betting it was.

Just a guess but if you are seeing that much temp difference between the top and bottom of the radiator, it seems that the radiator is doing its job. I would look for lack of flow due to either a defective pump, blockage or possibly somehow the flow is bypassing the radiator.

hope I don't spill the beans.
Sounds like he is still running into cooling issues even with the new rad.
I think he is going to be looking into a new gauge sender....
some talk about twin turbos also after this is sorted out.

Last edited:
Twin turbos??!?!?!

A bad sender for the temp gauge would be a real bitch at this point after all the troubleshooting work put into this, in for an update.

He knows initially that the truck was overheated twice because of the airlock.
I guess the 19T isn't getting full boost until like 2500rpm or something. EGTs are nuts.
It sucks he has put in all of this work and this is happening.

Sucks for sure!

I would be frustrated, but it appears he is making headway and we all hope this is the problem.

Jeremy, hang in there, soon this will be just a distant memory as you Cruise down the road...

Thanks guys, as was stated the rad did not fix the issue. It's not over heating now, the first two times where air I'm 99% sure. After that was solved it got hot one more time where the stock gauge moved toward red. At that point I can't remember what else was changed. I believe the fan was locked and the two bypasses closed. At that time the stock gauge stopped moving up but the newly added one was showing 210f at cruise (just added at that time). I thought the discrepancy was the dampend stocker not showing the tru temp. It was identical after the rad swap. My I gun contradicts it though, not sure why I trusted a $15 guage over a Ir gun. I checked the other day with the gauge showing 215f with a food grade thermometer (calibrated to +/-. 2f) it showed 188f at the same place the gauge sender was getting it temp from.

It's been amazingly frustrating. My work schedule plus some personal matters have taken most of my time up as of late.

I'm hoping to get a 4cor rad to replace mine any ways, but I plan to have it opened and roded out first. I'm also going to try and find a Isuzu remain water pump for it.

Nothing else is being done till I know 100% its good.

Something is off in the turbo department as well as was said but I need to sort that out later.

Progress can be frustrating, but solid diagnoses of the problem(s) will be worth it when you have the best cooling system around!

Smile...It gets better!

Oh ya, with all your experience with the cooling systems on these swaps...you are now the resident expert we get ask questions of! Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Your turbo problems are interesting. We've got a few Aussies running the TD04HL-19T. Another installed one this week (still sorting out the tune) and reports 22psi.

Your turbo problems are interesting. We've got a few Aussies running the TD04HL-19T. Another installed one this week (still sorting out the tune) and reports 22psi.
Yeah, I have been so preoccupied with the cooling issues that I have not looked into it at all yet.

I will get 23-25psi but it's at high rpm and the EGT's are not in control. Below 2200rpm it's not making a lot of boost, maybe 10-14psi foot to the floor, again EGT's rising fast and uncontrollably.

It may very well be the auto tossing it all off I'm not sure. I know I need a lot more boost if I am going to keep EGT's under control. I'm only one turn out on the fuel screw and 1300f EGT's are easy to hit if attention is not paid when locked up on the hwy.

It's on the list of things to look into when I am done this cooling fiasco.

I'd be checking how well the wastegate flap seals.

I'd be checking how well the wastegate flap seals.
I would be too if I had not done that appon assembly already. It seats flat and tight against the housing.

Today was my one day off this week so I set the honey do list in the trash and got to work on the truck.

I picked up a good 4core rad that was generously donated by Kim, thank you again!

Today I pulled out Greg's borrowed one and set about a few things. First pull the water pump ad give it a look. Looks great, no missing blades or corroded ones. No play or looseness in the bearings or impeller, it looks better than the gates one I have new out of the box.

So I'm going to put the original one back on, I see no reason why it would be the issue.

Plan on testing the cheap temp gauge I got too to see just how far off it actually is as well.

Your boost issue is just as if you are using a 7cm housing. I had a dig back through the thread and found a pick of your turbine housings page 14, post 279 the part # on the conical housing 89-11800 7 is a 7cm. I cant see the flat face housing part # (which from what I can make out is what you are using), but if is 6cm it should be 115 89-710 6. The 7cm is 115 89-810 7.
edit just found another pic post 606, page 31. looks like 115 89 11810 7 is the housing you have on and it is definitely 7cm.

Temp gauges reading wrong could be a bad earth.

Last edited:
Housing pic of the one you need on eBay attached.

115 89 11710 6.jpg

Your boost issue is just as if you are using a 7cm housing. I had a dig back through the thread and found a pick of your turbine housings page 14, post 279 the part # on the conical housing 89-11800 7 is a 7cm. I cant see the flat face housing part # (which from what I can make out is what you are using), but if is 6cm it should be 115 89-710 6. The 7cm is 115 89-810 7.
edit just found another pic post 606, page 31. looks like 115 89 11810 7 is the housing you have on and it is definitely 7cm.

Temp gauges reading wrong could be a bad earth.
You are indeed correct. In all my reading in this turbo is was widely publicized that the conical was 5cm, the flat like mine was 6cm and the angled was 7cm. It appears that was incorrect and would indeed lead to the lazy response of this turbo. Would be good as the larger turbo in a small compound setup...... [emoji6]

Thank you for pointing that oversight out, the turbo is on the list to revisit after the cooling system is sorted and the low oil pressure.

Interesting. Mine's a 7 as well. The large angled housing I have shows as being a -7 as well but is much larger. I want to learn more...can you point to a reference on these guys? Sorry if this is a hijack...

Sorry for a second newbie question...but why would the smaller housing help build boost faster? Seems counter intuitive to me...but I'm sure you all are right...just want to edumicate myself :)

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1411450064.941520.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom