Finally happened - buffed through the paint! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
I like to wheel my 80. I don't baby it through the brush and have broken several antennas off my bumper from branches to give you an idea. Don't get me wrong, I don't go out of my way to find brush but won't let it stop me either. No, I don't carry loppers in my truck...ha

Because of 2 factors: one being the pride I have in my LC and every vehicle I've ever owned, and my job at Toyota, I want and like my 80 looking good. I have had my 80 for almost ten years and have always detailed it where the scratches are buffed out. It doesn't help that I have the maroon color where the scratches in the clear show up white and are very visible against the dark color. ( I tease my friends in their many white 80's but at least the white hides the scratches much, much better.) I've had this truck buffed professionally with orbitals so many times I can't count. The factory clear is so deep, its lasted much longer than I ever anticipated. Someone I wheel with frequently, Landcruiserphil, warned me years ago that he did the same to his previous tricked out black 80 and buffed through. ( probably why he owns a white one now!?)

Now in a handful of spots the clearcoat is gone and the buffing is now starting to get into the first layers of the paint itself. In certain light if you know where to look, in spots the maroon looks more goldish. Its not like you can see the metal or undercoat. Just the paint is changing color slightly where no clear is left to protect it.

I still plan on keeping my 80 for many more years to come. I've slowly dialed it in to just what I personally want in an 80 and love the old gal.

Do I just let it get scratched up and don't look back or invest in a repaint and have the body shop triple clear it? I would get a very good price so that would help if I go that way...

a1.jpg

call me anal, I like it all cleaned up! put myself at a cross roads....

It's going to look great white!:flipoff2:

:slap: LOL
Cheaper just to repaint the outside the same color... If I had to do a complete re-color (Cant afford it), Id do the 1997 80 series Desert Dune color. my Fav!

I'm sure I will never notice it, next to all the perfect white trucks in this group.

I say go on and get it re done, it will bug you until it's done. Or should I say, Phil and I will bug you til it's done.

Murf, if you get this done it might shame me in to taking care of the passenger rear on mine and the rack removal but that's just crazy talk.

NIKE. " just do it"

I say go on and get it re done, it will bug you until it's done. Or should I say, Phil and I will bug you til it's done.

True. and Truer! ;)

Wow, your 80 looks as good now as it did when we wheeled together. Have someone spray more clear on it, should be easy enough.

Since you are a friend of mine, I will trade you my white 80 with the much better 3FE motor strait across. If the paint is not worn they should be able to blend the clear and hit the portions needing done. I think if you get the whole truck painted you will be afraid to get desert pin striping on it. You will then start acting like a Jeep owner. :flipoff2:

What are friends for :rolleyes:?

I'm having them double up on the clear so continue to scratch and buff :steer:

Is the maroon paint solid or metallic? If the prior, I would think you could feather out some new 2k clear on the areas that have burned through as a short term fix.

Already commited to body shop they want to repaint all but the roof and rear then double clear it.

The paint is so thin by the time they buff out the remaining scratches, they will probably buff through in several more places. Since they have to detrim, mask, and repaint the whole right side they might as well walk over to the drivers side and hood with the paint gun....

Is it me or do most wheelers seem to scratch the passenger side more than the drivers? Something I've noticed over the years.

Well the trip to Dripping Springs a few years back may have had some impact. Glad you are taking care of this the right way.

Is it me or do most wheelers seem to scratch the passenger side more than the drivers? Something I've noticed over the years.

z2. That is how mine is too. Easier to see and keep the bigger stuff away from the side you are sitting on!. I took mine one step further and put a big dent in the pass door with a tree root just for safe measure. :D

As for scratches...just let them build...wear 'em proud. Then have a serious buffing session later down the road. I have found that the colored wax Turtle Wax makes helps to keep them less noticeable in the mean time.

I dont care how bad mine looks it only gets buffed once a year to avoid this having experienced the same problem years ago.

Look forward to seeing the final product. Im sure it will look fantastic even being red

Yep, passenger side seems to cop more - even in oz :)

I stopped worrying about pin stripes - they all blend together eventually :)

Oh, and yes, WHITE is the only way to go.

cheers,
george.

slow and steady

80bshop.jpg
80sh2.jpg

Decided to keep the roof rack, delete the rear sombrero emblem, and the big Landcruiser emblem on the rear hatch. Some welding to fill holes will be required for the rear emblem delete.

Keeping the flares but all new flare rubber trim

Last edited:
Welds done, prepping the body today and rumor has it will see the paint booth tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Still makes me look twice on how high it sits without the bumpers and spare....the prepping gives almost the white look that seems so popular these days :rolleyes:

1014141612.jpg
1014141612a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom