Roof rack fairing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Love the new rack that we put on the 100, but not a big fan of the wind noise that most racks create. Anyone made a fairing for one? Seems like it would be pretty simple if you could source a large enough piece of rigid plastic and use zip ties to attach it to the rack bars. Anyone tried something like that? Suggestions?

I think a number of people have done that. I went this route - Yakima Towers & Fairing with Front Runner Rack.

uzj100-7-jpg.644140

Thanks guys. I am going to try a 50" Yakima fairing. Should work since it is designed for 1" bars.

I was trying to find a 3/16" thick textured black ABS plastic but can't seem to find it inexpensively. Cheapest I've found was a 6"Wx54"L piece for $67.

Anyone know any good sources?

Good question.
I've poked around and also could not find anything easy and affordable. I'll be watching here to see if anyone has any ideas.

I was trying to find a 3/16" thick textured black ABS plastic but can't seem to find it inexpensively. Cheapest I've found was a 6"Wx54"L piece for $67.

Anyone know any good sources?

Last edited:
@staggrlee for the win!!!!!!!!!! $24.62 shipped to me! Awesome, my google search skills are slipping. Thanks for the help.

They're local and easy to work with. You could send them a paper template and have it cut to the shape you want for a couple of bucks more. Possibly even just an email with a scaled drawing attachment.

I had them do a food-grade HDPE (commercial cutting boards) piece shaped to fit and replaced the tailgate cardboard/carpet trim with that.

Awesome, I will cut this one myself because I may end up trimming it around whatever light bar I end up putting there.

What color did you get the tailgate cover in? Happy with the result, any pics? I might call them up tomorrow and see if they can add that to my order!

Awesome, I will cut this one myself because I may end up trimming it around whatever light bar I end up putting there.

What color did you get the tailgate cover in? Happy with the result, any pics? I might call them up tomorrow and see if they can add that to my order!
White. See this thread. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tailgate-lid-replacement-no-more-carpet-please.575362/

I actually just took the ratty old carpet piece over to them and had them cut it to match. Poor basterds :) Very happy with the result. Only regret is not countersinking the fasteners. I'll get around to it one day.

p1030565-medium-jpg.612822

fireball@ I'm looking at doing the same, faring & tail gate. Maybe we can make this a group buy if Tapplastics is interested? I want the HDPE in Black not white. I'm sure that there must be more LC/LX owners that need to loose the carpet. We have the same Gamaviti rack what are you thinking for lights? I held a 50" Ridgid up on the rack it looks so good! $1800 + install is too much for today. I need shocks ! LOL

staggrlee@ any chance you would be willing to help out with design ?

Sorry as much as I would like to help out, I'm on the disabled list right now.

There's really no design, I just had them cut it because I was lazy. You can just trace the factory piece on the stock and cut with a jigsaw on low speed and then fine tune with sureform file/sander. Be aware you'll have to feather the front edge of the piece so the sill flap rides up and over as you close the gate.

thanks, guess that sounds pretty easy? So easy even a nuclear tech can do it ! LOL

The tap plastics homemade fairing turned out great. No moe noise! A nice finishing touch to the @gamiviti rack.

View attachment 951075

How wide did you make it? At this picture's angle looks like you didn't bother going all the width of the rack, where you able to eliminate most of the noise then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom