The Ultimate BBQ Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^Rudy's I had forgotten about. There was one in the town I went to college. I don't recall the barbecue, but I do remember their sausage and blocks of cheese you could buy.

Speaking of sausage, has anyone had all beef brisket sausage? It's good. Some bits of cheddar mixed in might be great. There's a place in town that does it and I believe Nolan Ryan brand sells all beef brisket sausage.

I made a naked fattie the other day, turned out pretty good for the effort and ingredients involved. I don't think I have the heart to wrap one of these in good bacon. Was low on things to stuff with....

-1lb organic ground beef (85 lean),
-salt & pepper to taste mixed with beef
-quarter of a large onion, chopped (stuff)
-mozzarella cheese (stuff)
-Costco rib rub (sprinkled on fattie)

Nice and easy thing to do, especially if you have your smoker fired up already. Had some slices on top of hash browns & cheese, fried egg and a bit of smoked onion.

Beginning
image.jpg

Cooked
image.jpg

Sliced
image.jpg

But the bacon makes it a fattie! But that looks good TLX, we'll call it a Leaner. I like it. Another one is a bacon cheeseburger fattie that you slice and put on buns. But your idea would work great if you cooked the bacon and put it on later.

^True about the fattie. It doubles/triples the price of the piece, I'm not sure if I would enjoy it as much as several mornings of bacon.

I think I'll try a 50/50 ground beef / sausage leaner stuffed with cheddar, jalapeño, and onion next go round.

Looks pretty good. That's actually what I had for dinner, minus the potatoes (wife cut me off). Was that a flat or a whole brisket? How much did it weigh, what temp did you smoke at, and how long did it take?

I've been smoking a brisket about every two weeks and think I've got my method about where I want it now. But still interested in what everyone else is doing. Good thing about brisket, even if it's not perfect, you can use extra meat for brisket tacos, brisket chili, etc.

Looks pretty good. That's actually what I had for dinner, minus the potatoes (wife cut me off). Was that a flat or a whole brisket? How much did it weigh, what temp did you smoke at, and how long did it take?

I've been smoking a brisket about every two weeks and think I've got my method about where I want it now. But still interested in what everyone else is doing. Good thing about brisket, even if it's not perfect, you can use extra meat for brisket tacos, brisket chili, etc.

T, this was a flat/flat point and weighed just under 4#s. Cooked for 4 hours @ 200-210F ( 3 hours fat side up, 1 hour flipped) then wrapped in tinfoil and towel, put in cooler for another 2 hours.

J

Had a brisket fail yesterday. Stalled at 160* after 6 hours on the smoker, stayed there right up until company showed up for dinner 3 hours later. I threw it on the grill for a few minutes to give it a crust and get the temp up a couple more degrees, but it was dry. Oddly, the peeps we had over raved bout it, but I was sad. I learned why people start them at 6am and let them finish early and wrap them rather than have what I had happen.

^ Murphy's Law. Misery loves company...comforting to know Murhpy is camped out in multiple places at the same time :D

Had a brisket fail yesterday. Stalled at 160* after 6 hours on the smoker, stayed there right up until company showed up for dinner 3 hours later. I threw it on the grill for a few minutes to give it a crust and get the temp up a couple more degrees, but it was dry. Oddly, the peeps we had over raved bout it, but I was sad. I learned why people start them at 6am and let them finish early and wrap them rather than have what I had happen.

Yep, you really can't rush a brisket. Some people have luck cooking around 275-300° to get it done quicker. I normally start around 8-9PM and smoke for 4 hours and then wrap in foil or paper and let it go low & slow while I'm sleeping. I can hold it for lunch if needed. Trying to time it for dinner is tricky, I'd try to have it done 2-3 hours in advance to give some cushion.... You could be starting in the middle of the night or very early in the morning.

A small pork butt that just hit 195*...and if you look closely you'll see banana leaves: Tell tale of my first Barbacoa (chuck) cook...thermometer has to move another 10*F or so before it gets pulled.

Then its burrito making time tomorrow ;)

pork butt and barbacoa beef.jpg

I can't see the picture, but I bet it's good. I've been having pork tacos since Sunday myself.

^ Don't know what's up with my and your immediate above post as the photos are not visible. Maybe the new and improved mud ;)

Guess mud has a feature it can sense the weight I've been gaining and has denied food photos....

I can see it now. What did you prep the meat with? I did mine in a pan uncovered for first 4.5 hours and then braised to finish.

Last edited:
Hmmm...the photos are up now...maybe the site just needed time to digest the photos :D

Hey nice looking butt there TXLX100! You notice my butt is missing some bark...I just can't resist ;)

The pork butt got rubbed with homemade Garam Masala early this morning and about an hour rest before going over apple this morning. The chuck got barbacoa paste, also homemade, rubbed all over and then it sat, wrapped in the banana leaves overnight in the fridge until its session in the smoker situated under the pork butt for near constant basting :).

pork butt and chuck barbacoa.jpg
chuck barbacoa.jpg
chuck barbacoa piece.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom