1987 hj75 ute with 12ht (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Should the brake peddle be rock hard without the engine running

Yes it should but once the engine is running some diesel brake system the pedal will feel spongy and slowly go towards the floor. My 80 series Saraha was like this after putting near a gallon of brake fluid through the system bleeding those brakes I gave up and started chasing everything else in the brake system replacing all the rubber hoses,load valve, booster and I rebuilt and then replaced the master cylinder. I tried everything and nothing would fix those darn brakes. Then I read its common with diesel engines and gave up because the cruiser went straight over the pits with the blue slip giving a excellent brake report. :)

Ok the brakes work fine on it but it just feels wrong might have to adjust pedal travel

image.jpg
We'll the ute is finally registered and insured so I can drive it home tommorro hopefully just need I put a throttle dampner in it and extend throttle arm so its not so sensitive the ute will be known as the Cajan as in swamp people because of the number plate

The throttle is a bit twitchy with a 12HT but you do get used to it.
There are times I still need to steady my foot by holding against the kick panel but it's pretty much automatic now.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409475587.756767.jpg

I had the touchy throttle issue so I went down to the wreckers and got a throttle damper off a Peugeot and a smaller spring off a toyota Camry I think it was. Just had to modify the bracket a little and change the idle adjustment bolt. Works perfect.

Hey haddees could you please take some photos of your throttle damper in place for me

I would say that the 12ht and 1hz with turbo are pretty close but the 1hz spooled up quicker more kick going up a hill it I still has the old turbo on ot though the 12ht sound great people just look at it to see if it's a truck or not when I'm going slow the 12ht will hold 70km up a steep hill in 4th my 80 would sit at 70 but then still accelerate quickly in 4th

I would say that the 12ht and 1hz with turbo are pretty close but the 1hz spooled up quicker more kick going up a hill it I still has the old turbo on ot though the 12ht sound great people just look at it to see if it's a truck or not when I'm going slow the 12ht will hold 70km up a steep hill in 4th my 80 would sit at 70 but then still accelerate quickly in 4th

Hi Chappohj47, I mentioned in another thread that Brad from Diesel Australia tuned a 12ht in a 60 series on his dyno a few weeks back, it came in a 77hp at the rear wheels and left with 98hp at the rear wheels, and that's an old engine not a rebuild?

A good tune on yours and you could pick up 20hp at the rear wheels?

My old 1991 1hdt Sahara used to romp for a 3 ton truck but the 4 speed auto was the ticket for its performance. I'm still keen on a hdj79 for the extended leg room and torque but there still pulling series money so trying to find a cheap hzj and maybe drop the 1hdt-fe and h151 box. I'm not happy with the small 80 style front diff but at least its not like the 80's with constant 4wd.

Yeah what was Toyota thinking when going to small front diff.
79 series are great I would have bought one if I had the money but will be sticking to my cramped 75 for a few years now

Beautiful 70! What air cleaner is that? Was that stock for the 70 series? I'm looking for the best solution for my 12HT.

Hi creeker it's a Donaldson air cleaner just fits where it is intake is inside the inner gaurd at the moment same spot where snorkel will put a hole

Thanks chappo - that's what it looked like to me.

image.jpg
I have put 750km on my ute in a week it has been running better and better slowly fixing small problems but it has been off road everyday in the mud it's pretty fun

Fixed a couple of small problems today but found another I thought my clutch was a bit funny yesterday most of the fluid had leaked out of it so a new master cylinder will be required next pay day

It was a nice sunny day today so I painted the underside of my ute black looks good now
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom