Product promotions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Management has decided there will be no more "soft vendor" threads in tech

A soft vendor thread is one where someone posts up the technical of a product and talks about selling them.

Users can express interest or even use the thread as a basis of sending PMs to order

These threads need to be in the Merchandise store front section

If someone wants to do a review with no discussion of selling, orders, pricing etc, then that is acceptable.

This doesn't mean that we don't appreciate the innovativeness of some of the forum members, it just needs to be in the right section

Now remember that Nuclerlemon and I do not read every thread. We both have full time jobs and moderate this section as volunteers.

We ask if you see someone going over the line on a pimping a product that you simply report the thread via the report button.

This is one of the best sections on the forum as most of you do a very good job at self policing the threads and letting us know when we should get involved.

We appreciate your membership and contributions to the 80's section

Ken .. should I report the hole thread if that start like a valid tech thread and turns out some sort of GB or sells thread by other members and not necessary by the thread creator or even the " gadget " creator ..?

I understand this is a gray area

if someone makes something and others say hey I want to get one, that's not really a soft vendor . . . Until the originator says checking interest for orders

What I would prefer is to report the post that changes the tone so I can clean that up

We don't want to limit good ideas, just want to keep tech in tech and selling in Classifieds

Group buys? for 80 specific stuff?

Group buys? for 80 specific stuff?

I will ask for clarification on those. Can see a fine line there as well as a person could start a group buy on something they are making

I get it. Just I personally look in 80tech for sometimes good deals/group buys specifically for my 80. I don't mind going to the vendor/merch section, just don't want to weed through all the other models and offerings. Know what I mean.

I'm assuming I'm one of the knuckleheads that brought about this thread. I apologize for that. I am working hard at getting a business license, my own website, and a few more logistics in getting tax issues, and a work shop all straigthened out so I can become a legitimate vendor on here. Any future designs will strictly be for feedback. I will make sure I don't mention any part of the selling of them or where to buy them. I will start a fresh thread in the small business section with all that info. Again, I apologize for my lack of common sense. Wont happen again.

Did Obama take over this website...come on, these members aren't looking to steal business from the vendors or to make a living off of their gadget...just to innovate new ideas. (And may also create some competition and keep prices reasonable)

(Please don't ban me)

I read the vendor threads when I am ready to buy an item. Sometimes the "laymen" threads get me interested in a new topic.

(Please don't ban me)

I get it that some vendors may be upset....but this site, provided that they provide got customer service, is the absolute cheapest advertising anyone can find!

(Please don't ban me)

I know I will be over ruled, just stating my opinion.

(Please,please don't ban me!!!)

I think management should reconsider!

...via IH8MUD app

I (hoping that I don't get banned) agree that if a "layman" comes out with a product that is in direct competition with a vendor and is not a "paying" vendor, or member, for that matter, mods shoe delete or move their threads.

However there are members, I won't name names but LCP comes to mind, who innovate new product that target a different market than the vendors have.

(Perhaps vendors thought: "we can't run a full-time business with those profits")

So be it...I think this decision was made in haste due to a single vendors complaint.

...via IH8MUD app

I come and predominantly stay on 80s tech because it's all I care about and everything is 80 specific. I don't have to wade thru all the noise about crap I don't care about. Except when it's my own over heating thread :bang:

Every person that does a thread, that starts as tech, does everyone a great service and because it's here I know about it.

If it turns into a sales thread, why not require a vendor license purchase? Instead it needs to go where 98% of us never venture?

Also, when it gets stuck in the Siberia that is the Small Business Merchandise Section, why do they now have to compete with some stupid Trail Gear ad when they are not a small business. Small Business should be renamed "home brew garage mod that I thought was interesting and a bunch of people now want to buy it". Trail Gear posts in every sale forum they can and it's unfair to those trying to innovate.

Again, make them buy a vendor license. But keep 80s tech in the 80s section. Please.

And please don't ban me...for the third freaking time :flipoff2:

Nlxtacy...u have a bigger set than me....u :flipoff2; I try to stay polite and not get banned ;)

I have to say, and I may get banned for this, but the vendor that complained needs to put on their big-boy pants and not whine that some guy in a garage with a screwdriver, a hammer and a full-time job that is putting him out of business.

Maybe if their product was priced well and quality was par it wouldn't be an issue. This is the great thing about capitalism....u can't overcharge forever.

Don't get me wrong I am not bashing the vendors, I have spent countless dollars with them. But in this case, I suspect a vendors sales are down and they are looking for someone to blame...other than themselves.

These are not NEW rules. They have been in place for a LONG time, and due to a handful of Vendor AND member comments, are going to be kept a closer eye on. Members don't want Tech cluttered with "buy this" threads. Vendors pay as little as $30 a month (I know, CRAZY expensive) to sell products, and would like "some" knowledge that their $$ isn't wasted on advertising when others are also posting their products for sale. Quite a few current advertisers started out in the Mdse Storefront and turned their garage hobby into something profitable.

And MOST other sites simply toss ANY non-supporting Vendor to the curb. 'MUD has a place, and always has, and those new/emerging members have ALWAYS been encouraged to post their wares in the Mdse Storefront AND include a link in their sig line. ALWAYS.

Group Buys? I cannot stand them. I've watched too many go sour, and ended up taking a ton of my own time trying to fix the f-ups of either the member that started it, or the business that offered it.

AND, many "soft sell" or "new business" threads have been started and left for a while in Tech, then moved at a later date once the prototype/testing phase was done. Oddly, the ones that are left are the result of someone ASKING first. I know, crazy...permission instead of forgiveness.

It seems that this thread started out in the 80 forum... I'm glad I found it. I was just recently called out by Beno for a "feeler" thread I started in the 100 section (I was thinking of making a sticker and wanted to know if there was interest). I didn't know this was frowned upon but I certainly understand.

Can there be some way to make participants of certain forums aware of products specific to them that appear in the Merchandise forum(s)? It seems unreasonable to expect that someone that participates in the 100 series forum for example will troll the Merchandise forum to see if there is anything of interest... Maybe sub forums within Merchandise that match the tech forums with a link at the top of the tech forum? maybe some way to flag a thread as relevant to specific forums? maybe a sticky in each tech forum to post links (only) to relevant merchandise threads?

Member signature lines are already allowed to have links to products sold in the Mdse Storefront. Given policies on MOST other website (who allow ZERO product promotion other than supporting Vendors), I believe that is sufficient.

These are not NEW rules. They have been in place for a LONG time, and due to a handful of Vendor AND member comments, are going to be kept a closer eye on. Members don't want Tech cluttered with "buy this" threads. Vendors pay as little as $30 a month (I know, CRAZY expensive) to sell products, and would like "some" knowledge that their $$ isn't wasted on advertising when others are also posting their products for sale. Quite a few current advertisers started out in the Mdse Storefront and turned their garage hobby into something profitable.

And MOST other sites simply toss ANY non-supporting Vendor to the curb. 'MUD has a place, and always has, and those new/emerging members have ALWAYS been encouraged to post their wares in the Mdse Storefront AND include a link in their sig line. ALWAYS.

Group Buys? I cannot stand them. I've watched too many go sour, and ended up taking a ton of my own time trying to fix the f-ups of either the member that started it, or the business that offered it.

AND, many "soft sell" or "new business" threads have been started and left for a while in Tech, then moved at a later date once the prototype/testing phase was done. Oddly, the ones that are left are the result of someone ASKING first. I know, crazy...permission instead of forgiveness.

Thanks for the clarification. I asked because the pre-edit thread title from Romer was "***** New Rules- Read This on New Products ****************"

Thanks for the clarification. I asked because the pre-edit thread title from Romer was "***** New Rules- Read This on New Products ****************"

That was my mistake and I have already been corrected

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom