Electrical fire in the engine bay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I had a "friend" of my mechanic put a new head gasket on the 60. After moving the truck, he connected (I don't know how) the 2nd battery and an electrical fire ensued. Not sure I will be able to recover damages from this guy. My question is this. With a bunch of melted plastic, hoses and wires, and some bubbled paint, how much is my rig worth to sell?

86' FJ 60 with 210k on the engine (which is basically toast now).
Full safari rack
badlands winch
OME lift
Hella lights
SOR sliding quarter windows
5 speed manual
(5) 90% 33x 12.5 BF goodrich all terrains
ARB front bumper
K-mar rear bumper
body is probably a 5 or 6 out of 10. scratches, slightly dented quarter panel, and rust in the usual spots.

Thanks for your opinions. Pretty bummed. :(
Here are a couple of pics (pre-fire). There are three more Hella lights on it now. Pics are before the sliders were installed also.

crusher (1).jpg

crusher (2).jpg

That is some bad stuff, it sound like they watch it burn or do you also have damage from a fire extinguisher? (powder is corrosive)
If you remove the damaged stuff and replace is it impossible to fix yourself?
Rubber and wires damage instantly but the engine can take a beating, or are the seals inside also damaged, after a few minutes of fire the seals should be oke?
It seems like desmog time and replacing some wires but maybe a picture would ensure it became a scrapper and will you buy another one and switch the parts?

HJ 60 wrote:
It seems like desmog time and replacing some wires but maybe a picture would ensure it became a scrapper and will you buy another one and switch the parts?[/QUOTE said:
The extra sad part is that I had JUST had the desmog done, along with a new weber carb and bunch of other small jobs. She was running great, and just needed the head gasket changed. I was too upset yesterday to get pictures. I should have the truck back at my place soon and will put up pics. I'm hoping to work out an arrangement to put a 4bt Cummins in it, and have my mechanic eat the labor, as it was his "buddy" that caused the fire.

Brian-

Yeah, I get that. Fact is, I used shade tree mechanics, and this is what I got. I could take him to small claims, but would never be able to collect. I could beat his ass, and get arrested, plus broken hands. The analysis doesn't play out.

SO.....

How much is my rig worth with a lightly toasted engine bay? $2,000? $3,000? $500? All of those seem low to me, until I think about what *I* would pay for a non-running cruiser with a damaged motor and fire/paint damage.

Any informed opinions, or interest would be appreciated. Here is the truck in better times.
crusher.JPG
crusher2.JPG

I am sorry about your baby. If you do part out I would be interested in your rear kaymar shipped to florida please. Thank you

FWIW, you could get a lot parting it out. Why not look for a diesel from up north, and then spend what the conversion costs.
Seem like its a good truck, not to mention the attachment to all the time and effort. Unless you really got to get rid of it.
Look at more options out there. Yeah know, Kevin from Wagon Gear is close to you. Ask him, you won't find a better guy.

Then go burn the bastards shop down.... :mad:;)

Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm pretty attached to my Cruiser and would be heart broken if that happened..

...via IH8MUD app

A rig in that condition really isn't worth much. Without seeing pix, I'm gonna assume the harness is a melted mass of goo. That alone would limit my bid to $1000. If the winch isn't damaged and came with, maybe $1500-2000, maybe, if the engine and/or H55f are salvageable.

Frankly, you'll make more by parting yourself.

Good luck.

Sorry about the Sh---y luck. Go diesel or part her out. You've got some really desirable safari gear on your rig, so parting her out shouldn't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom