Builds Project 16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That filler neck is not made from radiator hose is it? I've heard rad hose will not hold up in that application...
Fun build, keep up the great work...

it is specifically fuel filler hose. and damn expensive stuff! I got 5 feet for the 2 separate fillers and it was $100.:eek:

That filler neck is not made from radiator hose is it? I've heard rad hose will not hold up in that application...
Fun build, keep up the great work.

...via IH8MUD app

Just to make sure that people know that it is a FACT that radiator hose will not hold up long term to gas. Many years ago I built saddle tanks for the pickup I had. I was young and inexperienced at that time and not knowing any better I used radiator hose for connecting the filler neck. Epic fail!! I don't remember just how long it took, but the gas turned the hose to jelly (almost).

Don

Junk yard. :idea:

:D I had looked there and couldn't find what I needed in long enough length. 1 of them is going to be 3', and both have to bend slightly. the junk yard ones were too dry and wouldn't bend or were too short.
what I got was the 'Gates' filler hose. it is really good stuff. stiff, but I was able to bend it enough to fit the shorter one. the longer one will have a 45* bend, but test fitting has shown it works. we welded up the modified filler neck for it last night. when we seal it, I'll get pics. maybe tomorrow.

yes Don, that is good info. I had seen that in a few places when looking for filler neck hose. it is good to clarify it. thanks.

big long day of fab work today! we were both home all day, so we cut the front and rear bumpers out, as well as rocker sliders. then we cut the rear x-member out and trimmed the rear frame, then tacked in the new bumper.
attachment.php

attachment.php

pics coming tomorrow, the cab body mount bracket was trimmed to mount the sliders and the front mounts were cut. a little grinding and the sliders are ready to weld in.

ok, we ground the welds on the second filler neck and sealed it with fuel cell sealer(red kote). it had some rust inside so the sealer gets the rust and welds all sealed. you can see it at the fuel tank end a little.
tomorrow I work, so if things are slow, I hope to get the sliders welded in and front bumper mounts started.
attachment.php

I was able to get the sliders tacked on today. the rear mount will be the same bracket as the body mount. it will get the bottom trimmed and boxed.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

next up was the rear bed mounts. I also got the front frame horns prepped for the front bumper brackets. no pics of that yet. also, I'm feeling tons better about my welds. I may start doing up some of the final welds myself.:grinpimp:

attachment.php

attachment.php

we've been working on the project, but hadn't gotten pics yet. things slowed down a little when my chop saw broke for the final time and we found the roll bar tubing we got was the wrong size. I paid for 1.75" and they loaded me with 2". I have to go back and get the correct size that my buddy has a die for. so here are some pics!
first is the middle support for the sliders.
dscf0955-jpg.880509

then the front bumper,
dscf0950-jpg.880510

then the frame for the fuel filler necks and the mounting plate template
dscf0954-jpg.880511
dscf0953-jpg.880513

hmmm, first time trying out the new forum pics posting...those are kinda huge pics. sorry, I'll have to work on that.

today we finished up the fuel filler mount.
dscf0957-jpg.880710

then moved on to covering the bed. the area of the fuel fillers had to to be notched and bent up. then everything was trimmed and squared up.
dscf0959-jpg.880713
dscf0960-jpg.880714

a little more tirmming and we'll weld it on.

today I cut the hole in the rear bumper for the receiver hitch, removed the xmember for the spare tire rack and installed a new one. it will double as the floor support for the gear box and a tie in for the receiver hitch.
dscf0964-jpg.881344
dscf0967-jpg.881346
dscf0970-jpg.881348

also got the sides of the filler neck mount cut and welded in.
dscf0969-jpg.881359

we took a few weeks off for a vacation and then waiting on $. it's time to get going again when birds start thinking it will never move...
img_20140509_142755-jpg.895368

so I welded up the rear bumper end caps and the receiver hitch. then put in a post for one side of the hard top and checked on the alignment with the rear top rail.
dscf0976-jpg.895371

img_20140509_143214-jpg.895372

busy day. I made a cardboard template of the trans hump. got it all cut out and tacked in. it may be a bit too high based on the plastic piece that goes over the shifter. I'll have to look at it again in the next day or so. still have to make the front corners and the rear.
DSCF0979.JPG
DSCF0981.JPG
DSCF0986.JPG

also, my welds are getting WAY better. cleaning up surfaces has helped and the practice is helping a ton. :clap:

we finished up the transmission hump. one small piece left to fab and make the bolt down tabs, but she came out better than I had hoped!
dscf0994-jpg.911045

getting back on this project. summer is time for my many hobbies...:rolleyes: winter gets too cold for my wimpy a$$.:crybaby: time to buck up and get this done! fenders to be bent up on Sunday! got the tubing today. I had 1.5" for it but would have to buy a bender die for about $300. it was $130 for 1.25" tubing and a buddy has a die for it and just made his fenders, so measurements are already done. I'll get pics.:cool:

got the fenders bent up today with jstncse, and a big thanks to him for the help and use of his bender. here are the parts and Brock holding them in place. we will mock them in and tack them up this week.
dscf0996-jpg.941944

dscf0998-jpg.941945

dscf0997-jpg.941946

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom