70 series dependability? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There may be someone out there who's driven more miles over more varied terrain than me, but having done most of it, there's no question, Land Cruiser's generally and 70's specifically are the choice, 'cause you want to get there, AND get back.

just a quick example. in a few places where people unfamiliar with the 70 series initially prefer g wagons or pajero's, after a few trips those with rank and privilege commandeer the 70's, always. That goes for the hilux too, unless it's all pavement.

Last edited:
just a quick example. in a few places where people unfamiliar with the 70 series initially prefer g wagons or pajero's, after a few trips those with rank and privilege commandeer the 70's, always. That goes for the hilux too, unless it's all pavement.
If I had rank and privilege I would commandeer a HZJ77. :)

This one was fairly new, but the prado and g were newer.

hum and cruise300.jpg

I'm sure I could have done the same thing with my mighty 2H. :lol:

You probably could have. When prime movers get bogged ,it often only takes a little bit to get them going. Ive pulled out some big loads with a 1HZ powered landcruiser.

image.jpg
My 86 BJ74 is my daily driver. So far any repairs I've made have been improvements not repairs per se. This is the first time I've ever seen a 28 year old vehicle where everything electrically and mechanically worked. The improvements typically needed are so excusable that I never feel disappointed doing them... This week I'm having the drivers seat foam and fabric repaired, next week I'm running 2.5" exhaust all the way back. Last week was OME shocks and steer stabilizer. It's a gradual labor of love. Get your BJ and never look back. You'll be smitten just like the rest of us. As I write this, I'm under my BJ on my cell as I schmooze my truck, with my kid playing with Legos on the garage floor next to me!

Last edited:
Hello all. I have been interested in the 70 series for about 15 years now, but never fathomed even getting one. now I see they are becoming more readily available in the U.S.
So, my question is what can I expect form this truck? I know its a great off-road vehicle, but how about as a daily driver, or accessional driver and possible for 6-6 hour road trips?
I'm in Greenville, SC and really interested in getting any information I can on your diesel mechanic. Charleston is not that far to bring my rig to an experienced toyota diesel man... even the guys at ACC in Atlanta have told me that they can work on my truck, but that they aren't "diesel guys". Would appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:
If we're purely talking dependability of the 70 series, there's a reason they are used in every corner of Africa. We use them here daily, and trust them to get us into the most remote areas often carrying malnourished kids on death's doorstep. My personal car is an 80 series, but that's only because I couldn't find a decent 70 when I needed to buy. No one wanted to sell.

My 80 has the naturally aspirated 1HZ, same as a majority of the 70 series cruisers here. It's slow, but it'll pull damn near anything you want. Two weeks ago I came across a fully-loaded sugar cane truck in the bush blocking the road. Towed it about half a mile up a rutted hill in low and first gear, didn't even hesitate. My best guess on weight is that truck weighed north of 5 tons.

Others have spoken to parts availability affecting the practicality of daily driving one in the states. I agree on some level. I think if you purchase one in the US, you'd need to drop some coin and replace all of the "on their way out" parts before you commit it into service as a DD. If you do it right, I wouldn't hesitate. There's a reason people choose these cars to drive around the world in.

Lastly, they are far from "comfy" when you compare them to other trucks and SUV's offered in the US. They are utilitarian more than luxury, by far. So, there's that.

Of course, there's the coolness factor...

Just to add my two cents...I own a HZJ73 for almost 20 years now. Bought it when it was less than a year old with just a few kms on the ODO. The owner regarded it to be too uncomfortable and wanted to get rid of yet. Bought it for a lot less than newprice. A few years later I replaced the leafsprings for parabolic springs. They are softer than original but not too soft.
I do all the maintenance myself from day one. At present the ODO reads a shade below 290000 (290K) kms. No big or unusual repairs so far. Had to replace the radiator last year and the generator a few months ago.
I tow a caravan (1600 kgs AUW) regularly, in total around 100k km now to countries like Norway, Spain and Portugal, so have driven some mountainious areas as well, but have made offroadtrips to the Sahara as well as offroadtrips into Russia and Kazakhstan. Still happy with my cruiser.

They are fairly tough, I started a new job last weekend in the NT and seen a few here that have a hard life on the cattle station. If you look at this clip on U tube called [ Crazy bull chasing 7 emu station ]. I had that car in the shed yesterday. That clip says it all.

Slightly more challenging than the local Walmart parking lot.
If you were to put a can of beer in their hands and place a gun rack full of firearms in the back of the Cruiser, I would think the video was filmed in South Georgia.

Last edited:
I feel so much better. I thought I was being hard on my trucks…..

I'm in Greenville, SC and really interested in getting any information I can on your diesel mechanic. Charleston is not that far to bring my rig to an experienced toyota diesel man... even the guys at ACC in Atlanta have told me that they can work on my truck, but that they aren't "diesel guys". Would appreciate the feedback.
My guy is not a "diesel mechanic", but a Toyota mechanic who has worked on Toyota diesels, including his own BJ40. Look up Lex-Tech Automotive on Savannah Hwy. Better yet, heres the number. 843-225-5191

My guy is not a "diesel mechanic", but a Toyota mechanic who has worked on Toyota diesels, including his own BJ40. Look up Lex-Tech Automotive on Savannah Hwy. Better yet, heres the number. 843-225-5191
thank you sir.

For a diesel mechanic, maybe look at a local forklift shop. I've only gone to them for parts to rework a starter, but if you have a 2LT, and maybe others, they have the parts (legal) and probably the expertise. Plus I think the mechanic will come to your driveway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom