DOT Class 2 Placards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
I was going thru all the stuff I carry in my truck and it got me thinking; at what point should I be displaying DOT Class 2 placards? I currently have a bottle of Oxygen, CO2, Halon, Usually extra fuel, Mace (bear Spray), Oils, etc etc etc. Is there a requirement for notification or is this non-mandatory for passenger vehicles. I could spend the time to read and self-interpret but I figured some of you would just...know.

class2image.jpg

Not an expert...

I would think that you would exempted when driving personal vehicles or RVs for non-commercial purposes.

It's about quantity, not why you are carrying it. I'm sure you fall far below the minimum quantity for notification, it's in excess of 50 gallons for most materials.

IIRC 700 lbs of haz-mat needs to have signage listing type of haz-mat material carried.

The only exempt over 700 lbs is grocery store trailers. People would never buy if they knew the fresh veggies and meats etc are shipped with cleaners, stove fuel, automotive oil and additives........and more.

IIRC 700 lbs of haz-mat needs to have signage listing type of haz-mat material carried.

The only exempt over 700 lbs is grocery store trailers. People would never buy if they knew the fresh veggies and meats etc are shipped with cleaners, stove fuel, automotive oil and additives........and more.

Agreed. No commerce involved and below limit of regulatory oversight. It could cause complications to display such signage when traveling. I've been places where commerical compressed gas transport of any kind were prohibited. The way that's sorted out legally is by signage. If you have the signage on that's prohibited, you probably have to take the long way around, too. Mainly, this seems to involve dense central cities and tunnels. Folks with campers generally don't have to observe such restrictions for their LP tanks, for instance, but they aren't placarded, either, so....

Yeah, the food wholesalers have that exemption, but unless something gets damaged and leaks on the food, not an issue in my experience loading such trailers for a major wholesaler. And there are a lot of things in a food warehouse you don't want mixed in with edibles, too, like toilet cleaner, bleach, etc. Auto products tend to be warehoused separately from food, so it arrives palletized or boxed for loading with groceries and is only married up as the trailer to the final destination is loaded. Because of the weight of oil, antifreeze, etc, it's typically a bottom load. Food would go on top or, more likely, beside this sort of product. For many small towns and the wholesalers serving them, requiring separate deliveries would be tough financially to support. It's been my experience that the issues are minimal, if any. Not defending the greedy capitalists I used to work for, believe me, just noting that if people do their jobs right and load to minimize damage, based on my 15 years as a lead man loading this stuff this is not something to lose sleep over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom