1965 fj40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked up a used 4l80e for mock up. just need to clean it up a bit.

_8172781.JPG

Last edited:
got the frame on the rack . time to take off all the old hangers.

_8172777.JPG

Last edited:
subscribed to your thread ... are you going to beef up the frame with that monster in there ...
:cheers:

The only part I am beefing up is the cross member in the middle of the frame that I had to cut out.

I finally got around to scanning in the old slides I had. these photos were taken shortly after dad rebuilt the cruiser after it was rolled. If I can ever find those photos I will post them. Also found a couple of photo of a cruiser my dad raced with a friend of his. thought I would post them to.
toy022.jpg
toy023.jpg
toy024.jpg

another photos of my cruiser at the dunes. it landed on its nose almost rolled to the side. us kids had just got out. wish I had that photo.
toy026.jpg
:doh:

Last edited:
_0222850.JPG
Transfer case arrived so I thought would set some things in place and take some measurements and see just how screwed I am…lol looks like the rear driveshaft is going to be about 18-19” that’s with the rear diff pushed back 2” front drive shaft looks like it will be good.

Last edited:
It has been crazy busy at work the last few months and I haven't had time to work on the cruiser. Finally decided to just make some time and get some fab work done. after doing some mock ups for the four link suspension. I had to change my front motor mounts. the upper links were going to hit the motor mount I had selected. So I had to fab up some new ones in the stock location.
20140830_231008.jpg

I also had time to get started on the four link suspension that meant getting the trusses built so I would have some mounting points. this looks easier than it turned out to be. I think I measured cut, measured and cut about twenty times.
20140831_205429.jpg

20140831_211523.jpg

front diff.jpg

Neat build, I must admit that I'm jonesing for that 427 - I'm building one for my 75 Corvette.

I'm doing a SBC version of your build... 3 link front, 4 link rear, only I'm going with a 4L60e, sbc 400, and 9" ford rear with the stock 40 cruiser front.

How long do you think your drive shaft will be. I took some measurements tonight. Mine looks like it might come out at 15 inches. I'm not sure that's going to be long enough for what I want to do. Got to talk to the drive shaft guys.

I priced the high-pinion 9" from Currie.... 3 3/4" up is a really good thing - but oh at such a price (call it a cheeseburger more than 2k for just the parts)... I'm also going to cheat the motor forward as far as I can physically make it. But it's like anything, you can have cheap or you can have longevity... with that said, I'm going to move the rear back a bit when I go with the larger tires - and make the wheel well opening larger all in the back of the wheel-well.... I might even lower the back of the t-case as well.
my plan is 14" of travel in the rear - 4" up, 10 down... but, as you pointed out, unless the driveshaft is made of rubber, that might not be possible.

I did the same. I cheated the wheels back 2" I'll let you know what the drive shaft guy says.

Well this project may have just made a left tern in Albuquerque. The 4l80 and the BB motor just may be to big for what I am trying to achieve. Looking at a LS2 with a 4L60e. This should hive me a 10" shorter drive train that I currently have. Anyone running one of thies transmishion?

I think the 4L80e is longer than the 4L60e - but - the 700r4 has come a long way in durability and ability to hold pretty amazing power levels; thus, do you really need the 80e?
My first thought was Cadillac motor and turbo 400, but that'd be so overkill for what I do - plus, the 500 ci cadillac motor is a wide beast...
I'm building either a 400 or a 350 for mine - in any case, I'm moving the motor as close to the radiator as possible, and I might add 2" in front of the rear wheels to get just a bit more... dunno yet, I really need to start putting large bits in place so I can visualize what's next.

As for that transmission. My daily driver is a H3 Hummer Alpha - so I have a 5.3l LS motor, 4L60e transmission, 4:1 transfer case and e-lockers front and rear. The truck weighs a donut more than 6000 lbs with me and my SAR gear in it - and I am not nice to it, it came to me as something that never climbed anything higher than a curb at Nordstroms; so I feel obliged to beat the south out of it every time I play. I've broken a front differential, the transfer case (a link came off the chain and did no good to the gears it got caught between) - but the 4L60e hasn't even whimpered and I've put 40k more miles on it from when I bought it at 80k.

Last edited:
Surely a built TH700 will handle your 427? The LS/TH700 will be smaller and will probably better suit the short wheel base, but it ain't gonna be no 427 powered 40.. :grinpimp:

Anyone know how much shorter the 4l60 is over the 4l80 and will it bolt up to the BB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom