2006 Reliability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got 52K on my 2006, owned it for 9 years. Only problems I've had were broken exhaust (big rock in the Black hills) and the AHC, which has since been replaced with OME suspension. Maintenance has been perfect.

What I'm asking is this: for off roading, I usually travel to Black Hills or Central CO (Vail area). I have trailered my FJ40 down there, but now my whole family can't fit into it, so considering driving the 100 down there. Am I asking for problems with a 9 year old rig?

So, talking pretty long road trips, and with young kids, so I know I'll be kicking myself if I have some major problem while getting there, while I could be driving my 2012 Super Duty instead. Are there known issues, certain seals, hoses, etc that I should be aware of?

Thanks for the advice,

John

My 2006 with 157k miles just needed an alternator and battery. No leaks or dribbles from anything. I think you should be good to go.

Maybe replace your heater hose Ts (its on my to do list).

Nine years 52k mikes you need to get out before its too late!

Only money money to be spent. Straight up trade for my 2000, its already had all the problems it ever will and is well broken in.

Seriously, I am over 152k and take it back and forth to Chicago.

Heading to HIH thus weekend.

Look at the FAQ for what is done to base line a used 100.

As long as you gave that done and are current on all maintenance you will be fine.

...via IH8MUD app

I bought my '06 with 39,000 miles. At 78,000 (I think) the ABS took a dump - new pump, MC, etc. I "hear" that's more of an anomaly than the norm. Other than that, it's been great. But, I've only got 85,000 on it.

Take the 100 and enjoy it. At that low mileage, it stills needs to be broken in. Many typical breakdowns are caused by battery problems or tire problems. If it's had good maintenance, no worries.

Had 130k miles on my 01'. Drove it 5 hours to trail/rock climb for 3 days at a time, several times. Never any issues. These things are overbuilt and designed for this. You shouldn't have any issues whatsoever.

Since you seem to have been the owner all it's life, and presumably kept up with required maintenance, you should be OK. As others have written these things are rock solid WHEN (and NOT if) even reasonably WELL MAINTAINED. Otherwise they're money pits and prone to leave you stranded in nice places with strange names like Maumee, Ohio when you have to play catch-up as I have. As I wrote earlier, I'm driving mine from Ipswich, Mass. to Maddock, ND (2100 or so miles), and thence to Phoenix (1700 miles) this fall and expect (fingers crossed) no further problems from it. Emergency gear packed though.
I guess that you've given up on the trailer idea?
Ned

2006? Sounds brand new to me. I drove my 98 100 with well over 300k from Ohio to southern Mexico and back last winter. Never had any fear since, after 16 years, I knew that truck inside and out.

Since you owned the 100 series for over 300k miles and based on your signature now own a 200 series. Do you think you will have the same reliability/dependability from the 200 that you got from your 100?

Since you owned the 100 series for over 300k miles and based on your signature now own a 200 series. Do you think you will have the same reliability/dependability from the 200 that you got from your 100?
I had the Lexus LX570 after selling my Hundy, which only had about 135,000 miles. I sold the LX for a couple reasons. The main reason was because there is sooooo many more gadgets and computers than the 100series. I knew that if something were to bel, then I would be i for a hefty repair bill. It is an amazing vehicle and miss it, but I also miss my 100 series too. The LX was too nice for me, but if I had b ought one with black interior, I think I wouldn't be so scared to use it as an every day driver I am now back in the market fore with a 100 series or LX470.

I had the Lexus LX570 after selling my Hundy, which only had about 135,000 miles. I sold the LX for a couple reasons. The main reason was because there is sooooo many more gadgets and computers than the 100series. I knew that if something were to bel, then I would be i for a hefty repair bill. It is an amazing vehicle and miss it, but I also miss my 100 series too. The LX was too nice for me, but if I had b ought one with black interior, I think I wouldn't be so scared to use it as an every day driver I am now back in the market fore with a 100 series or LX470.

I see the same thing. I would want my next ride to be a Landcruiser not the LX570, but saying that I would love to have a low mileage LX570. Only have 130k miles on my LX and I have it setup just the way I want it.

The 200 series LX570 version will not allow you to install sliders. that is something to consider if you plan to off-road. I found that out after the fact and was pretty ticked off about it. If I were to buy another 200 series, it would be the LC just because of that reason.

Out of curiosity, why can't sliders be fitted to an LX570?
I'm guessing ahc piping. You'd have to rip it out which kills resale and the obvious benefits of having ahc.

Tough to do on an expensive and still current gen with tons of value and likely warranty left on table.

I'm guessing ahc piping. You'd have to rip it out which kills resale and the obvious benefits of having ahc.

Tough to do on an expensive and still current gen with tons of value and likely warranty left on table.
This. All of the AHC equipment is mounted along the frame.

We'll see. I can't say I love the AHC, especially the auto leveling as it will drop the rear end suddenly to level the vehicle if you stop at a light quickly. Seems to be normal given this also occurred on several other LXs I've driven. I do love the easy power and the improvement in mileage (I saw 22 mpg (calculated) on several recent interstate runs). Brakes are not impressive but no worse than the 100. I could do without the keyless entry's sensitivity - every time I walk by my truck in the driveway it unlocks itself. It also stumbles a lot when you first start it up in the morning - if you use regular gas. No issues when using premium which is a little disappointing given I never used a drop of premium in the 100 with no issues.

As for dependability, I would expect it to last forever.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should finally part with the 60. I've had that since 1987 and it's tough to let go.

I have 14 years on my 2000. My confidence that it will perform reliably for another ten years is high. It would perhaps increase your confidence greatly if you could see the condition in which these vehicles operate around the world.

Like any vehicle, preventative maintenance is key. Fluids, oil changes, and tires are my worries. While I think Ford is one of Americas best companies, I still wouldn't mention them in the same breath as Toyota when it comes to quality.

Though I think it's a valid point that today's vehicles are unnecessarily complex with electronics.

Like any vehicle, preventative maintenance is key.

Exactly, PM is the key. People make the mistake that simply because it's a Toyota and/or a Land Cruiser that things dont wear out or break. They do, just slower and less often. My '00 has has 148k. I consistently haul the family into remote areas with it. I use it for 7 hour round trip business trips (I own another car with better MPG but enjoy the 100). I'd drive it anywhere. Why? Because I know it inside and out and have replaced wearables and known weak items before they fail. Exceptions? My starter failed on a 20 degree winter Sunday morning at a remote North Georgia cabin. The best part? It didn't fail completely completely, it gave me the typical clicking warning signs and then started. Next on the PM list? Ignition shaft replacement and O2 sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom