Group 31 Battery Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

619TOY

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok, my first mod to the 200!! Part of my plans for this rig include a dual battery setup. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone makes a kit for a group 31 in the stock location. So I did it from scratch. I fabbed the brackets from 1/8" aluminum based on some ideas I got from the interweb and mostly from 100 series group 31 brackets. All in all. it was pretty straightforward. The 31 fits without issue, so the only work was the brackets. I used some group 31 stud adapters so I could use the terminals on the battery closest to the edge. Next step: add the second battery, which will be my starting battery and isolate the two. I decided to go with the two Die Hard Marine Batteries because I wanted to go AGM and they're just rebadged Odysseys but quite a bit less than if they sport the Odyssey label... So, here are the pics:

Brackets

Nut-Serts

Tray in

Battery in

Thanks guys!

Oh how I wish the 80 series had a nice flat inner fender mounting surface like that.

You and me both...

Any reason you did not just use an off the shelf Artec unit?

Mostly because I didn't know it existed, but I do like the aluminum better and I mostly cobbled this together on my lunch breaks, so it was pretty much free :D

Great looking mount. You mention that you are going to have the second location as your starting battery- that my be brilliant and simple idea since a Group 31 just won't fit over on the passenger side. I agree this battery is the best for reserve and cranking- perhaps the best balance on the market with high reserve time for fridge and lights, etc - yet strong enough for a second starting if ever needed. I want a set up where I can leave the fridge on all night without worry.

Have you completed the staring battery relocate? Anyone else completed this?

I understand from other threads to keep the winch on the main battery. I assume you just replaced or redirected the main and ground. And this should be fine for me since I can keep all the wiring for my lighting relays when the main is now. Anything to look out for? Anyone complete this? Btw, I'm going with the custom mount that James C used from Proline for the second tray. I will use a monitoring and isolation system as well.

Good luck with getting hold of those guys...cool products though

Great looking mount. You mention that you are going to have the second location as your starting battery- Have you completed the staring battery relocate?

Thanks, I appreciate it. All of the mounting has been completed, I just need to do the wiring. I'm hoping to have it complete by Ouray, but I'm pretty busy with everything else...

I assume you just replaced or redirected the main and ground.

Yep, that's my plan, to merely rewire the existing factory cables/connectors over to the other (passenger) battery. I expect the wiring will all be relatively simple. I'll post any updates in my build thread.

Ok. I'm going to be doing the same install configuration. I just ordered both battery boxes, the National Luna isolation Kit, picked up the battery and now about to order the disconnects and 12 v port for the rear and wire. Then the fridge choice - leaning ARB 50 qt

Fwiw, we are in the final stages design of a 2nd battery mounting solution and main upgrade as well as ARB single and double compressor mounts. Catch is DIE HARD platinums are now longer available so we are looking at other alternatives that is dimensionally the same. We have all the mounts made and just now in the pricing and production stage. Will have better idea I pricing and eta's next week. Will also post some pics.

@ SleeOffRoad Might I suggest?
https://www.batteriesplus.com/Batte...-(Starting_Cycling)/BCI-Group-31M/SLI31AGMDPM
X2_Power_31.png

I believe Odyssey makes (or made) DieHard batteries. I run a National Luna dual set up with Odysseys (PC1700MJT-A main and 34-78-PC1500DT-A aux) in my 4Runner and couldn't be happier. It's a 4.0 so plenty of room under the bonnet for them, wish there was more available real estate in the LC (not complaining about the 5.7 tho).

Thanks that looks to be dimensionally the same. Our design is 100% good to go with that battery. I just wanted to make sure we don't design for something not available nationwide. We are waiting for an Interstate battery to come in that should also work.
@sleeoffroad - so you will soon have the group 31 or group 34 for secondary location? If this is for the group 31 (larger) Can I and a early adopter? I want the 31 on the passenger side. I could still cancel my order. Christo- can you PM me and let me know?

Also, the Diehard platinum and the Oddessy group 31 Marine battery's are still available. Confused but hope you mean group 31.

Last edited:
Group 31 for primary battery, smaller for passenger side. There is no way to for a group 31 to fit on the passenger side without major surgery.

Oddessy is available, but the DIE HARD platinum is not. There might be some old stock in places but they will not be replenished.

Nice thing about the Batteries + battery is it should be east for a wide customer base to source.

@ SleeOffRoad, Christo, I have both a Sears Platinium and a X2-power group 31. If you want them measured to verify just message or email me. But visually they look identical except color.

I guess it explains why they were not that easy to find in Houston. I got one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom