Going down in size from 295/75/16 to 285/75/16 on 97 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going down in size from Toyo Open Country Xtreme 295/75/16 and want to run BFG AT or Nitto AT's in 285/75/16

1) less aggressive tread (quieter)
2) lower overall height & lower weight per tire
3) will retain re-gearing and not go back to 4.10
4) have yellowbox to reprogram
5) looking to buy BF Goodrich AT or Nitto Terra Grappler
6) Want D rating more than E rating (5,080 pounds (lbs))

Will need to address rear springs b/c back end is riding high after removing so much weight. Can be done with just springs I hope?

Last edited:
What makes you want to go with a D rating instead of an E? Is it reduced weight per tire?
I'm looking at new tires for my stock 80 and don't know what I want yet.

The 285/75R16 BFG AT is a load range E tire. You'd have to go with a 295 or 265 tire to get load range D. Don't know about nitto

1. could have sworn the bfg 285 came in both D and E flavors, but site just lists Es.
2. looking again at bfgs those two sizes are a difference of an quarter of an inch in height and width, with the 295 being taller and wider.

edit
the 285 were available in D's.

1. could have sworn the bfg 285 came in both D and E flavors, but site just lists Es.
2. looking again at bfgs those two sizes are a difference of an quarter of an inch in height and width, with the 295 being taller and wider.

edit
the 285 were available in D's.

Correct - I purchased 5 D rated ones back in 2011 - I have been told that they are softer/more flexible than E rated giving better traction.

Edit - I purchased 5 of the BFG A/T LT285/75/16 R16 122/119 R tires. Apparentely LT tires are rated for higher weight - it is unlear to me if these tires are "E" rated per the description on TireRack.com:
"You may find that some tires in your size have an LT designation out in front of their sizing. These tires will be heavier, stiffer riding and have higher load capacity.
Consider an LT tire in the following situations:
  • Do a large amount of off-road driving
  • Travel or live in areas with exceptionally poor road conditions
  • Tow or carry heavy loads on a daily basis
When driving a heavier truck or van (250, 350, 2500 or 3500), you must use an LT rated tire with a load range E. For some 3/4 ton vehicles a load range D will also work. You may have heard of "10 Ply" or "8 Ply" tires. This comes from the days of bias-ply tires, when heavier rated tires had a larger number of internal components. This terminology has officially been replaced with the letter load rating system. Load C = 6 Ply Rated, Load D = 8 Ply Rated, Load E = 10 Ply Rated, etc."

So....not sure if my old tire was a "D" and if is still available based on the above description. Both TireRack and BFG only list an "E" rated tire in this size.

Let me tell you what I do know - my current BFGs are awesome tires for dry pavement, wet, ice and snow. They also have performed very well aired down to 18lbs offroad in mud, sand and climbing "slick rock" in Colorado and Utah. Only downside is they are a little noisy compared to a regular road tire - a small price to pay for a superior all around all terrian tire. I would buy them again in a heart beat!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom