cot tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The tent cot stays on the roof. Search under my username and $500 rooftop tent project or similar. Result was better than I planned. Never did post pics.

LOL.
I was just gonna say.
All you need to do now is put it on the roof!

Roof Top Tent

Here is a Roof Top Tent, for 3 persons with attachable A/C unit. for $ 990.00

picture.php

i'm not trying to pollute this thread with a for sale ad... but i do have a tent cot that is for sale. It is the larger size that can fit two people.

I did't end up using it that much and found that it was just too big to haul around. Secondly it did feel very confined like sleeping in a coffin. I also felt that it took too long to set up. I know many are going to argue that point but to take it out of the bag, un-fasten the straps, fold it out, get the two poles out and run them through the roof to raise the roof, then snap the fly down onto it, i might as well just tossed a regular tent on the ground. Then, putting it away took twice as long.

However, the few times i did use it, i stayed warm and dry, never felt a rock in my back and overall was pretty happy with the nights sleep.

Agree, these tent cots sleep pretty well. You are up a foot off the ground on a taut canvas floor that the full perimeter steel frame keeps tight enough to support well along your full length. Mine has cupholders, screened windows, pockets for a paperback n pistol, and a central hook for a light. Well executed. But biggest thing is sleep quality and high n dry. If a sleep system won't do that, the other cool stuff doesn't matter, eh?

just picked up a Cabela's Deluxe single on CL.

First impression: the quality is very high. Seems very well made and durable. Lots of nice little touches. No skimping or cutting corners that I can see. Seems very strong. I like that it has 4 legs rather than just 2 as on the original Kamprite. Cabelas is more comparable to the Oversize Kamprite model actually, I suspect. Would not be surprised if the Cabela's is higher quality from what I read. (But I have no personal experience of the Kamprite admittedly.)

One possible drawback of the Cabela's -and the original Kamprite- is that that they do not have the domed roof that the latest Kamprites have. Less condensation and rain pooling issues and more headroom for the latter I suspect, if at the expense of (a little) longer setup.

I purchased the Camprite single oversize XL. The XL is a 90Lx32Hx40W compared to the original which is 84Lx24Hx28W. That is a significant difference and I have a lot of extra wiggle room to the sides and ends. I also like the higher domed ceiling. I also had to learn to let it vent to keep the condensation down. THis model I don't feel any crossbar but still use a thermarest pad for extra comfort. After flooding out a couple time in ground based tents, I like the ground clearance.

I stongly recommend looking into the oversize if youre shopping.

Even though warned and prepared for it, I was still surprised at the in-person size of the (oversize) thing. Not small for sure. Gotta have the room for it, realistically, but with a trailer or roof rack no biggie. It's big but it's also a clean shape so easy to store and transport.

a small plug here, but i have a tent cot that i don't use anymore that i'll let go really cheap. If any interest pm me....

I have 2 oversized and used them last weekend at tallcorn cruiser in iowa. It freaking rained like mad. I think 3 inches. Nope. Not wet at all. Did build up codisation but with venting no worries. I will make room for this tentcot for sure everytime i camp. Plus set up is minutes and I am off the ground.

it begs the question though of how one deals with being wet in the middle of a pouring rain and then getting in. What do you do with the wet clothes and all?

On another side, I will look and see if it would be easy to put in some fiberglass poles in the original shape one to sort of approximate the new dome design.

e9999, not any different than a regular tent. You can do several things, like attach a tarp or awning to the truck and have a little covered area that the tent is next too so you can jump in.... or, strip and run.... i'm sure you can get creative.

e9999, not any different than a regular tent. You can do several things, like attach a tarp or awning to the truck and have a little covered area that the tent is next too so you can jump in.... or, strip and run.... i'm sure you can get creative.

Another benefit to the tent cot in the rain, it is much easier and smaller to move to a better location then any other sleeping option.

Bottom line - camping in the rain sucks in anything

On a relative basis, though, it's better to be in any kind of waterproof tent -wet clothes notwithstanding- than to sleep in the open in the rain and cold. Which I've done before. So it's all gravy after that...

A few years ago I ran across Ventura Camp Systems Cabin Cot - http://www.venturacampsystems.com/

Have any of you tried it or own it? I like it because it'd allow me to pick the cot I prefer, all in it'd be around $200, and depending on cot would pack up quite small.

^^^venturacampsystems is very cool. That would pack down really small with a breakdown cot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom