going to start a 4wd swap ..Have one big question! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Obviously im new to this forum as I just created this account . I have been using this website and plenty others to gain information the in the past with multiple things.

Ok so here is the deal . I have a 2000 toyota tacome prerunner 2wd that im not willing to get rid of or trade or whatever . it was paid for with cash and ive done all the maintenance on it with high mileage no leaks or issues whatsoever. Ps I am a motorcoach mechanic.

anyways, i have decided to go ahead and start looking for parts for a 4x4 swap. I want to keep this swap around 1200 +-300 $ . The transmission i have (a340 2wd transmission ) apparently has a longer output shaft than the transfercase version . Anyways i have a couple 2nd and 1st gen 4runner 4wd transmissions laying around at work. And i was wondering is the output shaft would cross over to my transmission ?? that would save me from buying a whole new transmission so id just have to get the transfer case .

As per the transfer case and differential i want it to be all manual locking(not much electrical nonsense to deal with) . so which models and how to tell the difference on both of those. Ive heard to just try and find a donor vehicle from 96-00 . Anyones input who has done this swap or has the knowledge of these transmissions and transfer cases would be greatly appreciated .

-levi

I've never done this, but some here have and I do have some thoughts.

Have you looked into a straight axle swap, or install in this case. IIRC, a few Jeep axles are of similar width. But to go with OEM IFS, a wrecked junk yard parts truck would most likely be cheapest. Plus you'd get to disassemble it to see how it's put together exactly.

You are looking at alot of work to swap the tail shafts from one to another, and that is assuming they are swappable (I haven't seen this done but doesn't mean it can't be done)

I would say your best bet is going to be to find a trans and t-case as a unit that you can pick up. @theferg did this on his pre-runner last year I believe. I will see if I can find the thread, but I know he swapped the trans and t-case as a unit.

Edit: his build thread is like 5 down from the top, titled "back in business: ferg's taco build"

As NateB mention, which motor do you have in your prerunner...

If its a 5vzfe 3.4L, I'm recommend using the R150 transmission for the tcase drop is still on the right hand side. tranny will bolt directly to the block also, then you can use stock toyota axle, fj60, fj80, etc....

There's a site ttora that has many members that have done the swap to 4wd and kept the ifs . Since your on a budget that knocks out the solid axle swap for you. I think it can be done oem ifs for even less than you have budgeted if you do the work and are careful where you source the parts, you already have the trans and transfer case so you have the expensive part.
I would look on forums and source together the from diff and spindles and shafts. Some people cut them out instead of unbolting so they could sell all the ifs and front diff pretty easily.
You seem knowledgable so you probably know that oem cvs are better and worth the extra time trying to get. I think it was blue for manual hubs and green for auto( it's been a couple years since I've seen a taco) wish I had never let mine go.

The tacos with manual hubs are getting up there in age and (as I learned first hand from buying a set from a junkyard to do the man hub conversion about five years back) the bearings are a pita to replace and expensive I was quoted like 600 a side I think for just new bearings so I stayed with add.

You also want a j pattern t-case without the push button 4wd. I think either will work but I always preferred the one without the electrics. You will need a 4wd computer as well.

I would also scan craigslist every now and then. I've seen lots of taco parts for your year model forsale. I could be mistake but I think the 4 runners share the same parts up front. Your pre-rubber might have different gears in the rear as well so don't overlook that. I think my first taco 98 had 373 and my 01 had 410 or 11. If your real lucky try and score a matching front and rear from a Trd and get the factory rear locker. There's posts going into detail but the truck you have might be prewired for the locker button

Anyway it's late I'm rambling, but I would check out ttora if I were you. It's died over the last 4-5 years but lots of people that owned similar models as you have done the same thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom