'62 FJ40 in the Netherlands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Received a package with parts from the USA! Gears for the transmission, period correct door handle, licence plate holder, rear step, hubcaps, non skid material for the side-steps, period correct rear reflectors, and more. And some new parts from Beno. Getting very close to a complete 40 now!

Thank you guys who helped me with this! Special thanks for Bill who helped me collecting and shipping all the parts! Pics will follow!

Next to do is assembling the transmission.

IMG_2156 (Custom).JPG
IMG_2164 (Custom).JPG
IMG_2158 (Custom) (Custom).JPG
IMG_2159 (Custom).JPG
IMG_2160 (Custom).JPG

just read your thread top to bottom. always check your updates but good to read the whole story so far in sequence. you are doing great work. and getting me motivated to work on my original transmission!

me too...this winter, i need to at least pull the top cover and see why the popping out of 1st under load happens. really not fun when climbing a shale cliff road ;)

I do have a fsm for the early 40. This transmission is described. Not planning on scanning the whole thin but if you need pics of certain pages that wouldn't be a problem.

I've got one too... time just isn't in my side ;)

I found some pictures on my dads Phone, who actually did most of the work on the transmission. We sodablasted the steel and aluminium housings and rattlecanned the steel parts in black. We bought our own plating kit and tried to yellow plate some of the bolts but that didn't turn out too well, we have to get into that again some day after we learned how to use it right.

We're happy with the looks so far and most important: the mechanically it is perfect: we are very happy with the results. Al the bearings, seals and gaskets are new and it spins like a kitten. The reduction of the driveline sounds is much better then we expected when we started.
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG

Blasphemy, just didn't learn that word at school... Had to look it up. " Vloeken in de kerk" in Dutch. LOL.

I've been searching for tyres since we bought it. Those 33x9,5 just don't look good. Yokohama can't sell us the 742's here. I tried multiple ways but just like you in the US I didn't manage to get a set of RK3's from Malaysia. The only thing that we could get were the army (NDT) tyres but very expensive and not really what we wanted.

But recently, on the dutch ebay (marktplaats) these tyres showed up. The brand is Dynamic Tire from Bulgaria. Never heard of that. It is a bias tyre and the size is 8.40x15. Inflated they are about 30" which I think is a nice size for our 40. We are pretty excited about the looks. Hope the ride is also good. We put them on the original rims today and will be on the car soon. I made picture next to the original(?) spare tyre 7.60x15 and the size is very comparable. Inflated they get a bit larger. Really happy that we can put it back on its original rims and put the recently acquired hubcaps on it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

We had a nice sunset yesterday so I decided it was a nice moment to take some pictures. We have had the seats done: I got a sample from Dave (my old seats were quite faded) and went to the seat guy with that. He found some clothing that was very close. He did a really good job. He even found the same filling material (cocos), put jute on the bottom and mounted it with rope. Really looks like new and very original! Very happy with the result. For the Dutch readers here: Jim Leuven autobekleding in Hillegom did the job.
Also got all the tyres on the car and put the hubcaps on. Pics:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom