IPhone 5 vs Samsung 5 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This has probably been flogged to death but trying to decide on a new phone. Been an iPhone user for ages and like it plus have an imac. Which is a better phone for an 8th dried user, ie for maps that obd11 deal etc. Mostly for map/GPS use and music. I plan on getting a tablet soon so I am also taking into consideration which phone to get based on which would be a better tablet for my uses, iPad vs Samsung tablet. Oh and also looking in to a new probably alpine head unit, that big beast that I know with a bit of trimming I can fit in my double din slot. I'm a total noon with this so hopefully my dumb questions will lead me to more intelligent questions.
I should qualify this by saying that I picked up the Samsung S5 yesterday and am currently trying it out, have 30 days.
Thank you for any thoughts, help or suggestions.

Hmm, just checked in on home computer and can already see difference between iPhone and S5 RE SPELLCHECK !, Not an issue, I'll figure it out. What I was trying to say is that I'll be using / mounting phone and tablet in my LX450, want it for mapping, navigation and music. In process of getting my real estate license here in florida so will be using both for that and I think either would be capable. I'm more concerned with maps I can download and navigation I can use. Is this choice going to end a toss like people deciding between Canon or Nikon users ?, both excellent products with great results.
Is one easier or better to toggle (?) with ie to use as mobile hotspot ? Can either function as a standalone gps without cell phone or wifi coverage ?

new iphone suppose to be announced in a week or two...potentially larger screens. I like my galaxy 4, the larger screen in comparison to current model i phones was a big deal to me. Plus on samsung you have a user replaceable battery, which you may not care about. on my samsung I bought a larger battery which increases the time between charges by a day or two.

Battery is the real deal to me.. I own a Samsung Note and have 4 batteries .. ( that big screen it's hungry all they way ) done with one batt, here ya come the next one ..

Batteries are done .. buy new ones and you are golden ..

Plus .. don't have to deal with ITunes .. I hate that software ! ( still own several iPods ) for all you need want to put / pull in or from your phone ..

Changing data, moving data .. or what ever, move in to your SD and presto .!

I was a iPhone user .. at the end IMHO is not about which one it's better .. is about they way you like to do the stuff in your phone ..

Thanks guys, yes I'm sure I'll appreciate an extra battery on a 7 hr flight home. I'm loving this big screen more than I thought I would, now I can actually read mud on my phone. If I save data to micro SD card on my imac will the phone be able to read that ?; isn't there a problem w them talking to each other ? Will I be able to save maps to SD and read them on phone ? Any good apps you'd recommend ? I hunt for a living down here in Florida and not many distinguishing features when you chase a coyote 12 Mikes through palmetto and scrub, would really like a map on phone where I can set way points or points of interest for me etc
Cheers, thanks again.

The only useful advise I have is that for off-road-navigation, I wish I had a larger screen. I use an iPhone-5s and it's too small. For me, a small tablet would be perfect.

FJ60Seth, I'm still receiving texts on my iPhone and I have to tell you, feels weird !, it just seems so weird now . Whatever the pitfalls of this samsung may be I'm diggin the large screen and don't think I can go back

And agree with your idea of a tablet, that's my ultimate goal to have a phone and tablet

I've been a Galaxy S4 owner for more than a year. This is by far the best mobile phone I have ever owned. You can't even compare it to the technological dinosaur that is the Iphone. I'm sure the members of the Apple cult will flame me for saying that. In all seriousness Samsung makes a great product and as good as the S4 is the S5 is even better. Between the great screen resolution and outstanding camera you will not be disappointed.

Been an iPhone user forever. My 4S has had a broken power button for the last 6 months and I've been waiting for the 6 to come out to replace it. Now that it has I'm a bit underwhelmed at what my $400 will buy.

So... looking seriously at a Galaxy S5. Like the resolution, battery life, expandable memory, and the water resistance (I'm a runner and live in Oregon). I also like that I can ChromeCast any screen from the device and I'm looking forward to trying the Torque app.

The only thing at this point keeping me from making the jump is that I've grown to depend on MotionX. What are the good off road topo solutions for Android and how do they compare?

Ive had an s2 skyrocket since 2012, my wife and daughter have s3's, and I was using an S4 Active since February, and thought it was an awesome phone. Then I was given an S5, and holy cow, it is awesome. Screen is awesome, battery life is amazing, audio is great (even that funny cell phone stuff that they put on this thing.....) 16mp camera shoots great stills (DSLR quality), and the video is crisp and clear. I've never been an apple person. The customization Android allows is infinite. Even some of the bloatware is actually useful. The s5 can withstand some water, and as said by other posters, the two other awesome features of the samsung...removable battery, and the micro sd card. those two items were huge to be, even when I got the s2. I tend to keep my phone attached to a charger when i can, only because i get calls for work that last several hours. I've only played with the heart rate biometric, and have not tried the fingerprint scanner. I just hope someone doesnt come out with a temperature probe for health monitoring LOL

Whatever phone you get, get an impact rated case to house it in. Im pretty big on otterbox defender series, because I dont mind the added bulk. For a slimmer protective design, walmart sells a gel infused case for about 25.00, the Impact Gel Xtreme Armour Transformer (they can be found cheaper online too). It allows for some customization with the inserts for different images or backgrounds, has a gel pad inside for cushioning and impact protection, and is supposedly military grade. Mine found the ground from about 6 ft without a problem.

I have been rocking the S5 for about a month now.....
Love the size, camera and bat life.
Add a few apps and I really don't need to use my laptop.....
I got a life proof case and has paid off a few times already...

Last edited:
So the only thing that I'm truly missing is Motion X. Have grown to really appreciate the value of that app. Anyone equally happy with Gaia?

I was a diehard Galaxy Nexus user until it finally stopped connecting to mobile networks last month. My daughter got tired of the Apple hype after several iphones and went with the S5. She can't stop talking about it, so I got one too. Have to say, it blows my old Nexus out of the ballpark in every aspect. On a typical day of moderate use, I still have at least 50% battery by 11pm and it has an amazing display and is extremely fast. Granted, I'm comparing it to an unlocked and hacked 3 or 4 year old phone, but I was blown away.
Got the Otterbox Commuter case with it as a package deal and it's taken a few spills so far without complaint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom