GX 470 AWD System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fantic

SILVER Star
Threads
New guy here. Members over at Club Lexus pointed me over here. In the market for a 40 series for awhile and still looking.

Trying to consolidate our fleet of vehicles at home. Wife went to see about trading her 06 470 in on a new Yukon. They were only going to give her about 12K. That got me thinking. That is about the budget I had set aside for the 40 purchase. I know they are different beast but just looking for something to play around in.

I know I'll have to do something with the suspension. My question is about the AWD system. I know there is a switch to lock the center diff but what about the other differentials. Are they locking? Limited slip?

ATRAC

Only the center diff locks, but they do have ATRAC as Dan mentioned, which acts as an e-LSD for the front and rear diffs, applying brakes to the spinning wheel so it shifts power to the tires with traction.

Thanks. So there will never be a time that all four wheels will be locked. The left and right sides will alternate back and forth to gain traction using the brakes. Correct?

yeppers

You can locking difs in. Same as you'd have to do with a '40.

https://plus.google.com/photos/112245478940579893987/albums/5958880503646346945

9uxBLRA6Tb-l_ImrOAa0SNvn5bOqw7umQkgcGQGg0Rop=w341-h192-p-no

Looked at a 06 gx470 today, I didn't see an ATrac switch like my buddies fj. Is ATrac automatic on the gx470?

Atrac enguages when the center dif is locked and vsc gets turned off. Vsc engages when it is unlocked.

I wish we had a VSC off switch, the VSC is mighty touchy on loose sand/dirt and cuts power which I hate

There is a way :)

Yep you can wire in a switch or just pull the plug to the brake booster in the engine bay.

I know the ghetto way, used to do it in the FJ all the time, but it still doesnt cut out ABS, just VSC, I want no nannies at all!

You can put a switch on one of the front speed sensor wires. That will knock everything off for sure. I know you plan on being in the dunes so that may not be a bad idea.

hmm..interesting, I've had to replace speed sensor wires from stretching it out when installing coilovers (lesson learned) and that did shut off everything, never thought of putting a switch on that wire, very interesting idea!

hmm..interesting, I've had to replace speed sensor wires from stretching it out when installing coilovers (lesson learned) and that did shut off everything, never thought of putting a switch on that wire, very interesting idea!
I thought of it after having to fix this truck and my last after the wires were damaged. They are a completely different animal with all the systems disabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom