Our '87 4R SR5 Honduras Coffee/Missions Rig Build... (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Our electrical manual arrived and it's awesome. Super detailed and in near perfect condition!

-Daniel Kent
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409078836.821732.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409078844.372100.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409078853.357568.jpg

Thinking of putting one of these Diehard Platinum PM1 in the 4R. Thoughts, opinions, experience?

-Daniel Kent

You might get more traffic on the battery info over in the Expedition section. I'm also curious, the red top in my truck is now 15 (not a typo) years old so I'm betting I will need a new battery this winter.

I run a Sears Platinum in the 4Runner, but not that battery. Mine is an automotive battery with top and side posts, not a marine battery with double top posts. The battery has been good to me so far after maybe 3 years (could be longer).

I also have the giant 31M Platinum Marine in the Land Cruiser. The battery in the LC started having issues after about 3 years, and I found it dead one day at the 4 year mark. I need to keep it on a battery maintainer or it will go dead in only a month or so. Other people in the club have had the same issue with this battery. Considering it's size (it weighs 75 pounds) you would think it would have better shelf life.

You might get more traffic on the battery info over in the Expedition section. I'm also curious, the red top in my truck is now 15 (not a typo) years old so I'm betting I will need a new battery this winter.

I had a Red Top for many years. Pulled it out of the 4Runner because it was getting old and I didn't want to take a chance. I set it in the backyard and forgot about it. When I finished the FJ40 I pulled the battery out, charged it up, and it turned the 2FE right over. Ran the battery for another two years before dropping in the Sears 31M Platinum. The older Optima batteries were great. The newer Optima not so much.

15 YEARS... Wow!

I've heard the same about the Optima's...being not so good nowadays.

Guess more research is in order. :D

-Daniel Kent

Ya, I remember buying this battery in 1999, for my '84. It's got a big Interstate sticker on it, but it's an Optima under the sticker. I don't know if Interstate still sells them like this anymore, probably not. I've been watching the complaints now about Optima, I likely won't buy one again. Here it is in 2003 right after I wired up the winch.

WinchWiring2.jpg

Last edited:
Sold the BJ, so now I have money to work on the 4R! :D

-Daniel Kent

Sold quickly!

I have a "lunchbox locker" in my FJ40. Don't like it. Noisy. Chirps tires around turns if you give it much gas. Scary on wet or snowy roads. Wish I had an ARB.

I have a "lunchbox locker" in my FJ40. Don't like it. Noisy. Chirps tires around turns if you give it much gas. Scary on wet or snowy roads. Wish I had an ARB.

Thanks for the feedback and now I recall hearing this before. I didn't realize Aussie locker was a lunchbox locker till I saw this article. http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Lunchbox-lockers.htm

I did read it's particularly an issue with standard transmission and I have a auto so wonder if that would reduce the problems. I'd rather not go with ARB due to compressor (could break unexpected) and overall cost.

-Daniel Kent

I have one in my 45. It's a longer wheel base and I have never had a problem with it. It doesn't make odd noises or throw my rear end into a spin on off camber. It just works fine.

In Honduras, what will be the percentage of dirt-road/off-road to paved-road driving? If you plan to spend a lot of time on dirt, the Aussie will be just fine.

About 50-75% will be spent off road either dirt or trails. There will be the occasional trip into town 3-6hrs away (depending on what town) with "paved" roads. Local town driving is over mostly cobble stone roads with large pot holes.

Examples here: First pic is Copán where we'll live and second is our land and my cohort in the business.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409672245.251447.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409672257.068157.jpg

-Daniel Kent

Yeah...you'll be fine with a lunchbox locker and Aussie is still the way to go...

What's everybody's thoughts on a lift? I read for what we're doing just leave it, I've read do body lift (I don't want to do this honestly) and I've read 2" lift. Advice?

Advanced thanks!
-Daniel Kent
For daily driving especially on back roads of Honduras I strongly recommend going with Old Man Emu springs, and running a 32in tire. You won't have any rubbing issues and you will have a bit more ground clearance but at the same time very drivable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom