Wheel spacers Vrs Body chop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm curious if 2 inch wheel spacers will counter the body mount sticking to far out when mounting 33s? I don't go off road as much as I would like, but I do some. 90% on road use. I would like the extra width and height (as well as the aesthetics) of 33s. But I don't really want to chop the body. A lift will eventually happen. Just need new tires soon.

I'm curious if 2 inch wheel spacers will counter the body mount sticking to far out when mounting 33s? I don't go off road as much as I would like, but I do some. 90% on road use. I would like the extra width and height (as well as the aesthetics) of 33s. But I don't really want to chop the body. A lift will eventually happen. Just need new tires soon.
Well get pizza cutters and you do not need to do bmc or spacer I think they are 255/85-16 or they have a 17 inch wheel version.

Pizza cutters aren't really an option unfortunately. I put about 5k miles a month on it. Probably going to do the general grabbers since they're fairly aggressive and get about 50k miles. Just don't want them rubbing every time I turn sharply.

Wheel spacers may exacerbate.

Ran 33s for a few thousand miles and barely rubbed, with merely a creative alignment.

Body mount chops are now being noted as "frame damage" by dealers, in my neck of the woods.

Plus, they're there to serve a purpose...

image.jpg

Pizza cutters aren't really an option unfortunately. I put about 5k miles a month on it. Probably going to do the general grabbers since they're fairly aggressive and get about 50k miles. Just don't want them rubbing every time I turn sharply.
Understood. As mentioned above you can get your caster adjusted and they should not rub. Generals are a great tire. Good luck

Not the best solution, 2" might do it but you'll still get rubbing when off-roading.

As mentioned above, first step is to head to a good alignment shop and ask them to push castor as far forward as possible. If that doesn't work, you best option is to get the body mount chop done.

I know its not what you want to hear, but, best options IMHO...

I know this may be similar to the "bus load of nuns" fear mongering, but I'm not doing another BMC.....

Having seen, firsthand, how it stops the tire in a head on collision, I appreciate it's function and had altered the method of "chopping" to a straight cut and flat 1/4" steel "cap", to maintain the width of the mount.....which was relayed that it still rubbed PS, locked and stuffed with a ~34" equivalent tire.

Now, having heard of the new directive at local dealership, where they've noted "frame damage" due to BMCs, greater cause for concern, from a resale standpoint, enough do that I may replace mine.

I know some in the LT crowd have detailed alignment specs to keep 35s off the fender well seam, which should work for OE width 80% of the time.

I know this may be similar to the "bus load of nuns" fear mongering, but I'm not doing another BMC.....

Having seen, firsthand, how it stops the tire in a head on collision, I appreciate it's function and had altered the method of "chopping" to a straight cut and flat 1/4" steel "cap", to maintain the width of the mount.....which was relayed that it still rubbed PS, locked and stuffed with a ~34" equivalent tire.

Now, having heard of the new directive at local dealership, where they've noted "frame damage" due to BMCs, greater cause for concern, from a resale standpoint, enough do that I may replace mine.

I know some in the LT crowd have detailed alignment specs to keep 35s off the fender well seam, which should work for OE width 80% of the time.

I thought long and hard about this when I did mine, all it takes is an over-zealous insurance adjuster and a reason to not provide coverage. Good point, worth considering for sure...

Guess I need to realize I can't get a quality solution for a cheap fix.. sometimes I miss my fj80. :'(